Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 12th January 2013, 08:25 AM   #1
Cobra2 is offline Cobra2  Norway
DIY !
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cobra2
Default TubeLab website

The tubelab.com website really needs cleaning up...
Didn't someone offer help? -take it!
As it is/has been for a long time, you loose cred & sales.
best

Arne K
Old 14th January 2013, 07:42 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Arne,

I'm sure you mean well, but it comes across a little harsh. Perhaps if you were to offer help ...

Read this forum for George's comments on his own website. It is not his primary business, and those who frequent this forum benefit from his hobby and the time he puts in here despite a hectic and busy life.

re Sales ... George honours orders promptly, and offers what is essentially free support. The world needs more Tubelabs - it's a big vote of thanks from me.

Alan
Old 14th January 2013, 02:30 PM   #3
Cobra2 is offline Cobra2  Norway
DIY !
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cobra2
I know...but it has been this way for the last 2 years.+
I have been given harsher wake-up calls lately (health-issues), so I distribute some frustration ;-)
(Twisted Pear-guys also got pepper, without much change).

Arne K
Old 14th January 2013, 02:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

While I do think Arne is being slightly blatant with his wording, I must say that I basically agree with him.

I was referred to the Tubelab website by other respected forum members because I am considering building my first amp. I left George's site far more confused than when I started. In fact, it dissuaded me from the whole idea of building an amp.
Old 14th January 2013, 02:44 PM   #5
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Maybe George can authorize a public wiki for Tubelab, while he continues to handle the PCBs. There's several of us who are willing to help out with the documentation.
Old 14th January 2013, 03:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

That's a great idea. If this does come to fruition, I would like to encourage those who provide the help to try to keep in mind that first time builders (likely a huge portion of George's market) would benefit greatly from a "basics" approach.

As an example, do not start talking about input/output transformers with the assumption that the potential customer knows what these things are, or where to source one, or which ones are suitable.

This goes for all of the components. An "Introductory Tube Amp Anatomy" page would be an excellent place to start. Then maybe move on to discussions of the differences between SET and PP, etc. including layman's terms descriptions of how each type of amp "works" and how/why they sound different or are better suited to different loads, etc. Also a section on input/output impedance and amp-speaker impedance matching and why it is important, etc.

The reason I say all this is because I have been around this forum long enough to know that this is all basic, fundamental knowledge that anyone should rightly know before choosing an amp kit and then beginning the project of building one. However, I actually do not have any of this knowledge because I have not been able to find it anywhere.

Most websites, including this one, are filled with people who already know all of this and speak to others as if it is general knowledge. It isn't. There are many noobs who have no idea (like me) what the hell any of the components do, or what type of amp kit to buy, or even what questions to ask, etc... Rather than annoy forum members with such basic questions, I suspect many of us simply dismiss the idea of building an amp simply because it seems "impossible". George's site currently reinforces this idea. That's what it did to me, at least.

Last edited by cogitech; 14th January 2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 14th January 2013, 03:19 PM   #7
pso is offline pso  Spain
diyAudio Member

I ordered my PCB on a friday, only took six days to get to Spain, a disordered but trusted site.
Old 14th January 2013, 03:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pso View Post
I ordered my PCB on a friday, only took six days to get to Spain, a disordered but trusted site.
I don't think anyone is questioning George's integrity.
Old 14th January 2013, 03:47 PM   #9
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

so - either offer help to George , or leave him be .

his web is full of decent , correct and well intended info
Old 14th January 2013, 03:53 PM   #10
pso is offline pso  Spain
diyAudio Member

I do not question his integrity, maybe I misspoke, I meant that occupies of the site all you can.

Hide this!Advertise here!