One channel buzz, other channel normal - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 24th December 2012, 03:30 AM   #1
inlet is offline inlet  United States
diyAudio Member

Default One channel buzz, other channel normal

I finished the amp yesterday and the right channel sounds great. The left channel has a buzz, sometimes when I turn it on the music out of the left will sound fine for about 2seconds then the buzz "turns on" and overwhelms it. If I turn it on again the buzz happens right off the bat. I have gone through all the checks from TY's photo guide and everything seems normal and matches the other channel. I've swapped out all the tubes and it still does it. I've disconnected the inputs from the board, still no luck. Could a bad FRED cause this type of problem?
Old 15th January 2013, 09:40 PM   #2
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
Unlikely. I assume we are talking about the SSE here? Does the left channel buzz with the input tube removed? What if you short the inputs to ground?
Old 21st January 2013, 07:06 PM   #3
inlet is offline inlet  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes its the SSE. The problem after much troubleshooting was the input tube socket.

The amp sounds awesome. But now I have new problem, I have some very cheap chinese 6l6GCs and the plates are starting to glow, its not noticeable when the lights are on, and barely noticeable with the lights off. I took a picture of them, which really enhanced the glow, id say its about 1% of what the photo really shows.

Can I fuse the output transformers in case these things blow? If so, what is the best way of doing that and what fuse size should I use?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 21st January 2013, 09:43 PM   #4
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
That is fairly typical for SSEs with higher plate voltages. What is your B+ voltage? Because of the fairly small currents used in a typical tube amp, trying to fuse the OPTs introduces a fair amount of unwanted series resistance. Even then, the tube may protect the fuse. In the case of the SSE, if a tube shorts it will toast the cathode resistor and eventually blow the fuse on the amp (assuming its fused properly). It might also take out the cathode bypass cap. Both are fairly inexpensive parts in the unlikely case of tube failure. In the meantime, I'd look for other tubes or investigate lowering your B+ by adjusting C1.

Hide this!Advertise here!