• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Hammond in SSE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I will use Hammond transformers in my SSE and I have acquired the 374BX power transformer but not yet decided on output transformers.

What would be the "best" Hammond output transformer for my SSE - 1629SE, 1628SEA.... other ?

I am planning to use KT88 tubes in the amp.

Thanks in advance,

Have a look at the "tubes & transformers" tables at Tubelab's website. Specifically the table for KT88.

Here is the link:

Tubes & Transformers

The Load Z column is the output transformer primary impedance; the table gives you power out, distortion, tube power dissipation etc based on a given B+ voltage and current. The tube dissipation numbers in red are exceeding the dissipation rating of the tubes........if you like to push the envelope a little, these values will probably work although it somewhat varies depending on how robust your KT88's are.

Have a look at the "tubes & transformers" tables at Tubelab's website. Specifically the table for KT88.

Here is the link:

Tubes & Transformers

The Load Z column is the output transformer primary impedance; the table gives you power out, distortion, tube power dissipation etc based on a given B+ voltage and current. The tube dissipation numbers in red are exceeding the dissipation rating of the tubes........if you like to push the envelope a little, these values will probably work although it somewhat varies depending on how robust your KT88's are.

Thanks,
So if I have understood the "tubes & transformers" tables right a Hammond 1627ESE (3K prim. imp.) will be the best option if I want to get the most power out of the KT88's ?

Thanks,
So if I have understood the "tubes & transformers" tables right a Hammond 1627ESE (3K prim. imp.) will be the best option if I want to get the most power out of the KT88's ?

Correct. 3K with a 500V B+ and an idle current around 70-80ma gets the most power out without going overboard on the tube dissipation. Higher tube dissipation=shorter life.

Typical primary Z for KT88's is 3K-4K ohms.

A couple of things to keep in mind......a 500V B+ may push the voltage rating of 500V rated PS caps at start-up. Maybe not too bad with a slow warm up 5AR4 vac regulator. With solid state rectification, it's highly likely that the cap voltage rating will be exceeded at start up (most low ESR 500V rated electrolytics are rated for 550V surge).

One watt one way or the other won't make that much audible difference. As a general rule-of-thumb, using a higher primary impedance output transformer will yield less power out and less distortion than a lower impedance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.