• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Tubelab SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
this is the link to the Edcor choke:
EDCOR - CXC125-10H-200mA

A few more questions:
1) Can i use 1N5408 instead of the FRED too?

2) About C5, i have two ClarityCap TC 700VDC 110uf/220uf with ESR 1.6/1.3mOhm.
are they OK for C5 (i heard Solen are good) ?
if yes, shell i use only one of them or both in parallel ?

3) i have one obligatto film oil cap 6.8uf, is he OK for C4 ?

4) i have only metal film resistor, can i use them all for the TSE ?

Thanks

this is the link to the Edcor choke:
EDCOR - CXC125-10H-200mA

A few more questions:
1) Can i use 1N5408 instead of the FRED too?

2) About C5, i have two ClarityCap TC 700VDC 110uf/220uf with ESR 1.6/1.3mOhm.
are they OK for C5 (i heard Solen are good) ?
if yes, shell i use only one of them or both in parallel ?

3) i have one obligatto film oil cap 6.8uf, is he OK for C4 ?

4) i have only metal film resistor, can i use them all for the TSE ?

Thanks

Ranhaber: Yes, the 700V rated claritycaps will work fine for C5. Are they film caps? They must be huge...

You can run them separate or in parallel......stick both values in your PSUD model and look at the ripple V.

6.8uf is probably fine for C4. If your target B+ is a little low you can increase this value up to around 33uf or so. Beyond that, the 5AR4 may not be too happy.

The 1N5408 rectifiers will be very marginal in place of the FREDs with a 360-0-360V secondary. They are 1000V rated parts and for FWCT rectification, the rectifier voltage rating needs to be at least 2*sqrt2*transformer secondary voltage.

360*2*1.41=1018V

330*2*1.41=933V

I would get some 1200V FREDs like the Fairchild stealth part or equivalent.

ISL9R8120P2 Fairchild Semiconductor | ISL9R8120P2-ND | DigiKey

Yes, metal films resistors are fine for the amp. The one place you may want to use carbon comp resistors is for the 5842 grid stoppers. These should be non-inductive and carbon comp fits the bill here.

Thanks for the Edcor link. I see that they have updated their website and have included the DCR for the chokes under the specifications tab. They also now offer black or silver painted endbells (finally!! yeah!).

Unforch, they do not list the DCR for the power transformer windings yet, that would be helpful for modeling.

Ranhaber: I don't have a feel for your budget for this amp, but if it were me, I would save the $$ that you would spend on fancy caps and apply those funds to output transformers. Or if the budget allows, keep the fancy caps and upgrade the transformers; the TSE is worth it.

My 300B version is using the James 6123 output transformers and it's the amp that spends the most time in my system. The 6123 has multiple secondary taps, allowing easy conversion to 300B, 2A3, 45 output tubes. If you get the Edcor XPWR131-240, that has multiple secondaries that also allows easy conversion for the above tubes.

The James iron is top notch, potted, and comes in black or champagne color. There are other choices for top quality output iron as well.

This is just a suggestion, and all-Edcor TSE I'm sure will sound great......

My 45 version of this amp is using electraprint output iron...also another good choice.

thanks for the advice...
I toke it...

but when i go, i go all the way
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

now i just have to wait for all the transformers to arraived.

Hear is the list of what i bought.
If you think i have to take consideration about someting please inform me.

Attachments

• james list.jpg
    james list.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 178
Top shelf iron

Very Nice! The 9612 is beefy (350ma!), but it should work with a little cap and resistor tweaking.

You will probably need to adjust the first cap value to dial in the B+, as it will probably be over 400V using the 350V taps.

The 10H choke is an excellent choice.

All that iron is big and heavy, so plan for that on your chassis.

Those prices look really good. JS-6123HS for $82US seems way too low.....

BTW: The link in your post above doesn't work......

Last edited:
Ran: Since the transformer has a current rating of 350ma, it will be lightly loaded at around 175ma or so (140ma for your 300B's + the 5842's and the mosfets). That means it's output voltage will be a little high depending on the transformer's voltage regulation. (usually 5-10%).

The transformer will have very low DCR since it's rated for 350ma, the end effect will be that your B+ may end up a little high. To see this effect in PSUD, reduce the resistance of the transformer to 20 ohms, or 10 ohms and see what it does to the B+.

It will be fine, especially if you want to run the 300B's at 400V. At 175ma current draw, it will be loafing along and stay cool as a cucumber. Just for fun, I went over to the James Audio site and looked around at the power transformers. I think the one you picked is the best choice, and that package of iron you have ordered will make a great 300B TSE.

If you want, you can tailor your B+ voltage by changing the value of the first cap in the PS. Pick up a couple of inexpensive no-name 600V rated film caps between about 2.7uf and 6.8uf to try out when you build the amp.

I have a 9611 power transformer here, and it is big! Plan for some space for these transformers and choke.

$164 for a pair of JS-6123's is a great price, it's shipping from Asia that is a killer.

I think you will be very happy with this choice. Here are a couple of pics of my 300B TSE:

I think if I had a fancy potted James power transformer I would have built everything on one chassis.;)

Attachments

• Tubelab SE 1.jpg
    Tubelab SE 1.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 261
  • Tubelab SE 2.jpg
    Tubelab SE 2.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
I can't find a store to buy a dual heat sink ( without pay to much for shipment),
Does someone know one, or sell some, or have a different idea?

Yes, you can use old CPU heat sinks from a PC or video card, or any organ donor with a suitable heat sink, like a PC power supply (lot's of good stuff in there) that's what I ended up with, along with the dual stamped heat sink on the filament regulator.

I chop them up on my table saw using a non-ferrous metal blade. That non-ferrous metal blade has come in very handy when building chassis also.

The more heat sink that you can squeeze in there the better. I have my board populated on the bottom (tube sockets are the only thing on top); in that case you want a lot of heat sinking if you can fit it as the air flow can be a bit restricted.

It's funny, I have kept these pictures on my hard drive since others have asked similar questions, and they come in pretty handy.

Attachments

• tubelab SE heat sinks.JPG
    tubelab SE heat sinks.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 195
I just realized that the heat sink pic above is from my 45 version TSE, the heatsinks on the 300B version are below.

I used whatever I could scrounge up a the time........

Both boards are populated on the bottom (except for tube sockets).

Attachments

• TubelabSE heat sinks 2.JPG
    TubelabSE heat sinks 2.JPG
    672.9 KB · Views: 513
I'm 33 years old with a black belt degree so... :D just a day in the jim :rofl:
Be careful, that's the age when things start to happen to our body. :nownow: Plus, assuming that you want your TSE to last a long time, imagine when you turn 40 and beyond. :scratch2: I'm shocked to realize that my TSE is already 4.5 years old. :eek: Believe me, time will go fast. BTW, I built mine with 2 separate enclosures and umbilical cord. The other day, I moved it from the shelf to my desk for measurements and I was glad I built it that way. :yes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.