• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

tubelab SE component mounting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I have yet another question about the SE, Is there any reason I cant mount all the caps and the transistors on the underside of the board?

Why do I want to do this?

Aesthetics, I want to put the board in a chassis make it shiny and so on. :D

Obviously i would prefer it work properly and sound great before anything else.

thanks

Last edited:
Yes, you can do it. That is how I did mine and how several other's have been built. The hardest part is the filiment regulator, it has 2 rows of pins that don't match when placed on the bottom of the board. It takes some real 'quality time' with a pair of needle nose pliers to get them all to match up. You also have to get creative with heat sinc mounting.

If you have not already, I reccomend going though this post:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubelab/157491-pictures-your-tubelab-amp.html

Some really good ideas here.

Cooling may be an issue, I will have to ensure adequate ventilation, I have also noticed that George has used a chunky heatsink at the back of the board it appears to be attached to the PQ5EV5 Voltage reg.

I have seen that post a while ago, thank you for reminding me of its existence.

I had forgotten about the 5 pin IC, shouldn't be too hard though. Awesome!

I was also thinking of lifting the tube sockets up off the board not far mind you, I want to attach them on the underside of the chassis directly above where they would normally sit max extension of about 18mm (3/4") give or take a couple of mm. is this going to cause problems has anyone done this before?

cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.