• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Bypassing Power Tube Cathode Caps On SSE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
While I was putting together a list of parts to replace on my SSE after ~4-5 years of use I decided to order some extra film caps to bypass the power tube cathode caps. I chose the Vishay MKP1837 metalized polypropylene, .1 uF, 160V, $2.25/ea.

The result is a noticeable improvement. It sounds smoother and clearer, there is a harshness or graininess that disappeared allowing you to hear more detail in the music. It is moist noticeable in the high frequencies, there is a "sparkle" or "glare" that has been removed. It makes it sound less exciting on some tracks, but I am sure that what was eliminated was a distortion. It doesn't seem to have any affect on the overall character of the amp, tone and soundstage seem to be unaffected. I think it is a bit easier to listen to overall... I have Omega Super 5 XRS speakers, which are a 5" single drivers that can be very unforgiving if used with poor equipment, these speakers have no xovers and react strongly to changes.

I am thinking I will now have to do the same for the driver tube. :scratch:

Hopefully within a few days I will get to the Hazen or CCE mod described in my other thread :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.