• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Simple P-P Resistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I have quite a supply of NOS Motorola Carbon Composition resistors in my file.
I was wondering if I stick to at least the wattage rating of the required resistors and bin them them for tolerance would they be suitable for use?
I understand that CC resistors will drift with temperature but assuming decent air flow that shouldn't be an issue right?

If you need to buy new resistors, just buy the metal films. The difference in price on small quantities (under 500) is completely negligible. However; I wouldn't hesitate using carbon film if that was what I had on hand.

Carbon comp on the other hand are known to be very noisy. What is worse is over time they can drift in value by more than 50%.

I would only use them for grid stoppers. PRP metal film are a good deal (kinda, relative to Vishay bulk foil at least) for an "audio grade" resistor with non-magnetic construction. Kiwame carbon film are warmer (and available as a non-audio resistor for 1/10th the price), and Amtrans just came out with resistors including a carbon film that's supposed to top the Rikens, which are now out of production. Riken and Amtrans should be less warm and more detailed vs Kiwame but are still carbon film.

I also just replaced Kiwame with Mills wirewound in the cathodes of my EL34s in my SSE and they are less warm and more neutral... probably the cleanest option I have heard so far, but depends on your personal preferences. I also use Mills resistors in the power supply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.