807 Tube with SSE - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 3rd June 2012, 05:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 807 Tube with SSE

Anyone considered/tried an 807 tube in the SSE?

Another DIY'er here created a small adapter using a socket adapter, heavy gauge wire and an anode cap and dropped it into an Elekit TU-879S integrated as a pure swap-in for a 6L6-GC.

It looked rather good IMHO. Wondering about sonics compared to the 6L6.
Old 3rd June 2012, 10:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Anyone considered/tried an 807 tube in the SSE?......as a pure swap-in for a 6L6-GC.
The 807, 6BG6G and 6BD5 all contain the exact same guts as the 6L6GA. They have the smaller plate from the 6L6GA and thus carry a 19 watt dissipation rating and a 360 volt G2 rating. There were some 807's made after WWII with 6L6GB guts in them, but I never saw an 807 with 6L6GC guts. They might exist, but I haven't seen any.

There were some 6BG6GA's made with 6L6GC guts and even some with 7027A guts. The original 807's from the WWII era can not be considered a swap in for the 6L6GC in every circuit due to the lower plate dissipation and screen grid voltage rating. It can be used in some circuits including the SSE if the B+ voltage is less than about 375 volts. Simply plugging one into a stock SSE will invoke a bright red plate. Yes, I had a bunch of 897's and 1625's, tried them in SSE's and wound up selling them all.
Old 3rd June 2012, 11:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
The 807, 6BG6G and 6BD5 all contain the exact same guts as the 6L6GA. They have the smaller plate from the 6L6GA and thus carry a 19 watt dissipation rating and a 360 volt G2 rating...The original 807's from the WWII era can not be considered a swap in for the 6L6GC in every circuit due to the lower plate dissipation and screen grid voltage rating. It can be used in some circuits including the SSE if the B+ voltage is less than about 375 volts. Simply plugging one into a stock SSE will invoke a bright red plate...
Thanks for the guidance and detail.
Old 4th June 2012, 01:29 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There were some 807's made after WWII with 6L6GB guts in them, but I never saw an 807 with 6L6GC guts.
I was just over at my warehouse cleaning out the remaining stuff, and there it was. I found an 807 with 6L6GC guts inside, so they do exist. It was a GE with a 1965 date code on it. It was in a bag with about 10 other 807's and it was the only one. The others were older, and all had 6L6GA guts.
Old 7th June 2012, 05:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

What about the 5933wa I got some black plate sylvanias I can post pics if that will help .
Old 8th June 2012, 12:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What about the 5933wa
From what I have seen it is a 6L6GC wired for 807 compatibility. I haven't tried any of them.

The 5932 is supposed to be the same tube in the same short fat base but with an octal plug and 6L6GC compatibility. Both were designed to improve the reliability of the 807 and 6L6GC in harsh combat conditions. I have seen three completely different versions of them. All had the same envelope and numbers, all were Sylvania, but had totally different guts. One version has two tiny pentodes inside wired in parallel. That one red plates in an SSE with a 560 ohm cathode resistor, the other two don't.

There is also a ruggedized version of the 2A3 in the same envelope with a 4 pin base. I don't remember the number. There are at least 2 versions. One is a true DHT, the other has 6AV5 sweep tube guts. I have never seen the DHT version, but I have seen the beam pentode version. Some of those were also marked "2A3GA"
Old 8th June 2012, 05:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

The data sheets for the 5933w that I have and what they look like thats correct. They are pinned out as a 4aw (807) rated for 600 on the plate I seen on old pa amp as high 800 volts that screen grid stay at 300 . RCA did run one at 425 both plate and screen grid. The need for screen grid choke or good dropping resistor is need to keep the thing from generating rf so strong the hold neighborhood will not get any am signals. Given this was a transmitter tube you can drive up to 200mw in the control grid and it will hold up driven positive much better than the 6l6 and does like a lack of bias . I working on 807 driven by 7370 (20/40volt 5867) cathode follower dc connected when it up and running I post the schematic . Because of that rf tunning going to what to post schematic .
Old 12th June 2012, 01:31 AM   #8
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post

There is also a ruggedized version of the 2A3 in the same envelope with a 4 pin base. I don't remember the number. There are at least 2 ...
5930 also known as 2A3W. I have about a half dozen of them and all of mine are: 1) made by Sylvania; 2) contain two black plate 45's in parallel in the stubby bottle.

There's a picture of my TSE in the amp picture thread with 5930's in it. 5930's are the only 2A3 types that sound worth a darn, imo.

All of my 5932 look the same, I have Tung Sol's and Sylvania's. I treat them like 6L6GB. I've seen the funky ones with two pentodes inside, but don't have any.

Win W5JAG

Last edited by w5jag; 12th June 2012 at 01:35 AM.
Old 12th June 2012, 01:53 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
5930 also known as 2A3W
That's the number I couldn't remember. I have seen them, but don't have any.

Quote:
All of my 5932 look the same, I have Tung Sol's and Sylvania's. I treat them like 6L6GB.
I have three and no two are the same. One has two small pentodes inside.

Quote:
What about the 5933wa I got some black plate sylvanias I can post pics if that will help .
I have been cleaning out my warehouse and sorting tubes for the past few months. I am getting near the end now. 19 days left. I found two 5933's yesterday. They are not ordinary 6L6 types. The guts look more like 6550's or KT77's than anything else. Big square plates with round holes. They look like they could be cranked pretty hard. Not sure when I will get to them, but they do need to be lit up!
Old 14th June 2012, 04:42 AM   #10
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

I need to do something with mine. There is going to be a water theme park built across the street from the property where all my "stuff" is stored, so I'll probably want to do something else with it.

I missed Dayton and almost missed Ham Com at Dallas. I only came back with two tubes: a pair of nos SV572-160. Not sure what I'll do with them.

All this talk has made me want to get some 5933's, though.

Win W5JAG

Hide this!Advertise here!