• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

807 Tube with SSE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone considered/tried an 807 tube in the SSE?

Another DIY'er here created a small adapter using a socket adapter, heavy gauge wire and an anode cap and dropped it into an Elekit TU-879S integrated as a pure swap-in for a 6L6-GC.

It looked rather good IMHO. Wondering about sonics compared to the 6L6.

Anyone considered/tried an 807 tube in the SSE?......as a pure swap-in for a 6L6-GC.

The 807, 6BG6G and 6BD5 all contain the exact same guts as the 6L6GA. They have the smaller plate from the 6L6GA and thus carry a 19 watt dissipation rating and a 360 volt G2 rating. There were some 807's made after WWII with 6L6GB guts in them, but I never saw an 807 with 6L6GC guts. They might exist, but I haven't seen any.

There were some 6BG6GA's made with 6L6GC guts and even some with 7027A guts. The original 807's from the WWII era can not be considered a swap in for the 6L6GC in every circuit due to the lower plate dissipation and screen grid voltage rating. It can be used in some circuits including the SSE if the B+ voltage is less than about 375 volts. Simply plugging one into a stock SSE will invoke a bright red plate. Yes, I had a bunch of 897's and 1625's, tried them in SSE's and wound up selling them all.

The 807, 6BG6G and 6BD5 all contain the exact same guts as the 6L6GA. They have the smaller plate from the 6L6GA and thus carry a 19 watt dissipation rating and a 360 volt G2 rating...The original 807's from the WWII era can not be considered a swap in for the 6L6GC in every circuit due to the lower plate dissipation and screen grid voltage rating. It can be used in some circuits including the SSE if the B+ voltage is less than about 375 volts. Simply plugging one into a stock SSE will invoke a bright red plate...
Thanks for the guidance and detail.

There were some 807's made after WWII with 6L6GB guts in them, but I never saw an 807 with 6L6GC guts.

I was just over at my warehouse cleaning out the remaining stuff, and there it was. I found an 807 with 6L6GC guts inside, so they do exist. It was a GE with a 1965 date code on it. It was in a bag with about 10 other 807's and it was the only one. The others were older, and all had 6L6GA guts.

What about the 5933wa

From what I have seen it is a 6L6GC wired for 807 compatibility. I haven't tried any of them.

The 5932 is supposed to be the same tube in the same short fat base but with an octal plug and 6L6GC compatibility. Both were designed to improve the reliability of the 807 and 6L6GC in harsh combat conditions. I have seen three completely different versions of them. All had the same envelope and numbers, all were Sylvania, but had totally different guts. One version has two tiny pentodes inside wired in parallel. That one red plates in an SSE with a 560 ohm cathode resistor, the other two don't.

There is also a ruggedized version of the 2A3 in the same envelope with a 4 pin base. I don't remember the number. There are at least 2 versions. One is a true DHT, the other has 6AV5 sweep tube guts. I have never seen the DHT version, but I have seen the beam pentode version. Some of those were also marked "2A3GA"

The data sheets for the 5933w that I have and what they look like thats correct. They are pinned out as a 4aw (807) rated for 600 on the plate I seen on old pa amp as high 800 volts that screen grid stay at 300 . RCA did run one at 425 both plate and screen grid. The need for screen grid choke or good dropping resistor is need to keep the thing from generating rf so strong the hold neighborhood will not get any am signals. Given this was a transmitter tube you can drive up to 200mw in the control grid and it will hold up driven positive much better than the 6l6 and does like a lack of bias . I working on 807 driven by 7370 (20/40volt 5867) cathode follower dc connected when it up and running I post the schematic . Because of that rf tunning going to what to post schematic .

There is also a ruggedized version of the 2A3 in the same envelope with a 4 pin base. I don't remember the number. There are at least 2 ...

5930 also known as 2A3W. I have about a half dozen of them and all of mine are: 1) made by Sylvania; 2) contain two black plate 45's in parallel in the stubby bottle.

There's a picture of my TSE in the amp picture thread with 5930's in it. 5930's are the only 2A3 types that sound worth a darn, imo.

All of my 5932 look the same, I have Tung Sol's and Sylvania's. I treat them like 6L6GB. I've seen the funky ones with two pentodes inside, but don't have any.

Win W5JAG

Last edited:
5930 also known as 2A3W

That's the number I couldn't remember. I have seen them, but don't have any.

All of my 5932 look the same, I have Tung Sol's and Sylvania's. I treat them like 6L6GB.

I have three and no two are the same. One has two small pentodes inside.

What about the 5933wa I got some black plate sylvanias I can post pics if that will help .

I have been cleaning out my warehouse and sorting tubes for the past few months. I am getting near the end now. 19 days left. I found two 5933's yesterday. They are not ordinary 6L6 types. The guts look more like 6550's or KT77's than anything else. Big square plates with round holes. They look like they could be cranked pretty hard. Not sure when I will get to them, but they do need to be lit up!

I need to do something with mine. There is going to be a water theme park built across the street from the property where all my "stuff" is stored, so I'll probably want to do something else with it.

I missed Dayton and almost missed Ham Com at Dallas. I only came back with two tubes: a pair of nos SV572-160. Not sure what I'll do with them.

All this talk has made me want to get some 5933's, though.

Win W5JAG

Hi Tube Fanciers,

Another 6L6 family member, 1625; Different pinout and a cathode cap on top. A year ago or so I bought a dozen 1625 NOS JAN National Union tubes. They are all in intact looking WWII packaging. Does anyone have a feel for these? There are also 807’s and cousin 837’s on the shelf.

The plan for the 1625’s is to build and play with SE and PP versions of pentode, ultra-Linear and triode connections, just for fun.

Any thoughts?
DT

The 1625 is an 807 with a 12 VOLT HEATER and a 7 pin base. The cap on the top is plate, not cathode. They are all derived from the 6L6GA and can be treated as such. I had about 200 of them in NOS military packaging but lost interest several years ago and sold them all.

I finished clearing out the warehouse today. Sherri will go turn in the keys tomorrow morning. There is (my guess) about 10,000 tubes in this house and maybe 2000 pounds of transformers. I did find another version of the two pentodes in parallel tube. This one was labled Sylvania 6L6WGA.

You've move out 2000 lbs of metal all by yourself? Quite a work out!

Sherri helped with the tubes and other stuff, but left the transformers for me to move. I didn't move them all on the same day. This has been a 2 year undertaking. At one time we had 3 warehouse bays, now there are none. Still have to organize the mess that is scattered all over the house.

Saturday, without thinking I stacked up 20 boxes of OPT's, 8 in a box, on a 4 wheel cart. As I was moving them through the house one of the wheels on the cart broke off causing the cart to bend up like a pretzel dumping the OPT's all over the kitcken floor. After the cart was emptied in this manner the warning (300 Lbs maximum) was plainly obvious, stamped into the bent metal housing.

Lets see 160 OPT's at 6 pounds each......960 pounds.....that's one of 3 stacks........maybe my 2000 pound guess was to low.

I finished clearing out the warehouse today. Sherri will go turn in the keys tomorrow morning. There is (my guess) about 10,000 tubes in this house and maybe 2000 pounds of transformers.

Congratulations! I'm chronically struggling with keeping my garage functional as a proto shop here in the land of slab housing (no basements-just like FL) so I feel your pain. Seems like half the neighbors have storage units, which I refuse to do.

I've been methodically reducing leftovers from two companies that have been sold over the past few years, giving away lots of stuff and selling stuff for nickels on the dollar.

BTW, my single Raytheon 52 needs a mate if you happen to stumble across one.........;)

Last edited:
I've been methodically reducing leftovers from two companies

The company I work for used to sell surplus test equipment to employees via sealed bid auction. I got about a ton of stuff at an auction about 20 years ago.....Storage unit #1.

I had someone give me about 100,000 tubes and a few thousand pounds of electronics. Storage unit #2.

We were slowly reducing the "stuff" quantity and selling enough "stuff" to pay the rent. The place that Sherri worked at closed down, giving us another ton of "stuff". Sherri gets a job managing the storage complex, Storage unit #3.

In a 4 year period my parents and Sherri's parents passed leaving us a ton of "stuff", 3 cars, a truck and 2 1/3 houses. Sherri loses her job at the storage complex and A$$ hole landlord raises the rent. In a temporary loss of vocabulary control I tell said landlord what I think of him and vow to be out of his control within a year.

Storage unit #3 is emptied in 2 weekends by super stuffing #1 and #2. The auction house, local charities, recycling center, and scrap dealers get to know us and recognize the pickup truck. Multiple visits eventually empty storage unit #2 by double decking #1 leaving it stuffed to where I can't find anything.

A$$ hole's wife quits managing the complex and serves him divorce papers. A$$ hole puts the complex up for sale....asking price 1.5 MILLION! Sherri refuses to take the managing job so new girl is hired. New girl tells us that a contract is written for sale of the complex. New owner states that all tennants will be required to sign a 1 year lease (no lease for last 20 years). Closing date is July 15. We emptied the place on July 1 and turned over the keys on July 2. Just over a year.

Now we have a house full of "stuff".....Sherri is not happy about it. I enclosed 2 pictures from about 5 years ago when we still had #1 and #2. I was in the process of building a loft to allow 2 layers of "stuff". A lot of the "stuff" I was given came from a collector of vintage aircraft and military electronics. Note the 1937 postmark date on the box from Douglas Aircraft. It contained some tubes.

BTW, my single Raytheon 52 needs a mate if you happen to stumble across one.........

Excuse my stupidity, but what's a 52? I found data for a Raytheon RK52, a transmitting tube. I haven't seen one, but there is a few thousand old tubes in my trailer waiting for a trip to Stan's in Orlando. Can't keep them all.

Attachments

• DSCN2512.jpg
    DSCN2512.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 373
  • DSCN2376.JPG
    DSCN2376.JPG
    661.8 KB · Views: 331
Excuse my stupidity, but what's a 52?

I suppose I should have said "Raytheon VT52"........The 7 volt filament 45 DHT on steroids. I have one, and it needs a mate. Unlike most of my 45's, it tests almost new. I bought a box of tubes off of Craigslist a few years ago, and it was in there.

Now when I look around in my garage at all the crap and get bummed, I'll just re-read your post above and realize it's not that bad. :)

Seriously, good luck with the unloading of stuff, it can be quite satisfying. My old boss was a pack-rat, and we kept two storage units full of medical lab equipment and prototype medical devices for over seven years after the product line was sold and the company shut down. He asked me to empty it a few years ago, and I got about $10K for everything that I didn't donate to the local junior colleges, give away, etc. I calculated that the company spent over $30K to store the stuff.

"Raytheon VT52"........The 7 volt filament 45 DHT on steroids.

OK, that one I have heard of, but never seen. Tubes like the 50 and VT52 go for far more money than I will ever pay for a tube. Anything that looks like a DHT got put into the "keep" collection at least for now.

I'll just re-read your post above and realize it's not that bad.

Everything is relative, I have seen much worse situations than mine. I have a few friends who are habitual pack rats and are controlled by their "stuff". My collection of "stuff" expanded rather exponentially with the unexpected events of the past 4 years. I realized this and started taking steps to prevent it a few years back, or I would be in deep "stuff" today.

I calculated that the company spent over $30K to store the stuff.

I don't have a number but my "stuff" has cost be between 10 and 20K over the years and it is just not worth it. I have taken the approach that the "stuff" reduction plan works like one of those TV reality shows where something gets voted off every month. The "tribe" is now small enough to fit inside the house, but tribal councils will continue until it all fits into 2 rooms, one of which is also the lab.

To accurately determine the "weakest links" now I need to build the mother of all tube testers. I had two good tube testers. They were pretty good at finding really dead tubes, but they wouldn't find the tubes that distorted, wouldn't make good power or were microphonic, so they got voted off the island a few months ago.

Sometime in the not too distant future I will leave south Florida and I have to move it ALL again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.