807 Tube with SSE - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 1st July 2012, 10:35 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hi Tube Fanciers,

Another 6L6 family member, 1625; Different pinout and a cathode cap on top. A year ago or so I bought a dozen 1625 NOS JAN National Union tubes. They are all in intact looking WWII packaging. Does anyone have a feel for these? There are also 807ís and cousin 837ís on the shelf.

The plan for the 1625ís is to build and play with SE and PP versions of pentode, ultra-Linear and triode connections, just for fun.

Any thoughts?
DT
Old 2nd July 2012, 01:34 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

If they are good wwII packaging then they are 807 with 7 pin bases their the real deal . Should be able to run them like a real 807 .
Old 2nd July 2012, 02:40 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

The 1625 is an 807 with a 12 VOLT HEATER and a 7 pin base. The cap on the top is plate, not cathode. They are all derived from the 6L6GA and can be treated as such. I had about 200 of them in NOS military packaging but lost interest several years ago and sold them all.

I finished clearing out the warehouse today. Sherri will go turn in the keys tomorrow morning. There is (my guess) about 10,000 tubes in this house and maybe 2000 pounds of transformers. I did find another version of the two pentodes in parallel tube. This one was labled Sylvania 6L6WGA.
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:11 PM   #14
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
There is (my guess) about 10,000 tubes in this house and maybe 2000 pounds of transformers.
You've move out 2000 lbs of metal all by yourself? Quite a work out!
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:24 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You've move out 2000 lbs of metal all by yourself? Quite a work out!
Sherri helped with the tubes and other stuff, but left the transformers for me to move. I didn't move them all on the same day. This has been a 2 year undertaking. At one time we had 3 warehouse bays, now there are none. Still have to organize the mess that is scattered all over the house.

Saturday, without thinking I stacked up 20 boxes of OPT's, 8 in a box, on a 4 wheel cart. As I was moving them through the house one of the wheels on the cart broke off causing the cart to bend up like a pretzel dumping the OPT's all over the kitcken floor. After the cart was emptied in this manner the warning (300 Lbs maximum) was plainly obvious, stamped into the bent metal housing.

Lets see 160 OPT's at 6 pounds each......960 pounds.....that's one of 3 stacks........maybe my 2000 pound guess was to low.
Old 2nd July 2012, 02:15 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I finished clearing out the warehouse today. Sherri will go turn in the keys tomorrow morning. There is (my guess) about 10,000 tubes in this house and maybe 2000 pounds of transformers.
Congratulations! I'm chronically struggling with keeping my garage functional as a proto shop here in the land of slab housing (no basements-just like FL) so I feel your pain. Seems like half the neighbors have storage units, which I refuse to do.

I've been methodically reducing leftovers from two companies that have been sold over the past few years, giving away lots of stuff and selling stuff for nickels on the dollar.

BTW, my single Raytheon 52 needs a mate if you happen to stumble across one.........

Last edited by boywonder; 2nd July 2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 3rd July 2012, 01:36 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I've been methodically reducing leftovers from two companies
The company I work for used to sell surplus test equipment to employees via sealed bid auction. I got about a ton of stuff at an auction about 20 years ago.....Storage unit #1.

I had someone give me about 100,000 tubes and a few thousand pounds of electronics. Storage unit #2.

We were slowly reducing the "stuff" quantity and selling enough "stuff" to pay the rent. The place that Sherri worked at closed down, giving us another ton of "stuff". Sherri gets a job managing the storage complex, Storage unit #3.

In a 4 year period my parents and Sherri's parents passed leaving us a ton of "stuff", 3 cars, a truck and 2 1/3 houses. Sherri loses her job at the storage complex and A$$ hole landlord raises the rent. In a temporary loss of vocabulary control I tell said landlord what I think of him and vow to be out of his control within a year.

Storage unit #3 is emptied in 2 weekends by super stuffing #1 and #2. The auction house, local charities, recycling center, and scrap dealers get to know us and recognize the pickup truck. Multiple visits eventually empty storage unit #2 by double decking #1 leaving it stuffed to where I can't find anything.

A$$ hole's wife quits managing the complex and serves him divorce papers. A$$ hole puts the complex up for sale....asking price 1.5 MILLION! Sherri refuses to take the managing job so new girl is hired. New girl tells us that a contract is written for sale of the complex. New owner states that all tennants will be required to sign a 1 year lease (no lease for last 20 years). Closing date is July 15. We emptied the place on July 1 and turned over the keys on July 2. Just over a year.

Now we have a house full of "stuff".....Sherri is not happy about it. I enclosed 2 pictures from about 5 years ago when we still had #1 and #2. I was in the process of building a loft to allow 2 layers of "stuff". A lot of the "stuff" I was given came from a collector of vintage aircraft and military electronics. Note the 1937 postmark date on the box from Douglas Aircraft. It contained some tubes.

Quote:
BTW, my single Raytheon 52 needs a mate if you happen to stumble across one.........
Excuse my stupidity, but what's a 52? I found data for a Raytheon RK52, a transmitting tube. I haven't seen one, but there is a few thousand old tubes in my trailer waiting for a trip to Stan's in Orlando. Can't keep them all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2512.jpg (324.6 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2376.JPG (661.8 KB, 226 views)
Old 3rd July 2012, 04:49 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Excuse my stupidity, but what's a 52?
I suppose I should have said "Raytheon VT52"........The 7 volt filament 45 DHT on steroids. I have one, and it needs a mate. Unlike most of my 45's, it tests almost new. I bought a box of tubes off of Craigslist a few years ago, and it was in there.

Now when I look around in my garage at all the crap and get bummed, I'll just re-read your post above and realize it's not that bad.

Seriously, good luck with the unloading of stuff, it can be quite satisfying. My old boss was a pack-rat, and we kept two storage units full of medical lab equipment and prototype medical devices for over seven years after the product line was sold and the company shut down. He asked me to empty it a few years ago, and I got about $10K for everything that I didn't donate to the local junior colleges, give away, etc. I calculated that the company spent over $30K to store the stuff.
Old 3rd July 2012, 01:37 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
"Raytheon VT52"........The 7 volt filament 45 DHT on steroids.
OK, that one I have heard of, but never seen. Tubes like the 50 and VT52 go for far more money than I will ever pay for a tube. Anything that looks like a DHT got put into the "keep" collection at least for now.

Quote:
I'll just re-read your post above and realize it's not that bad.
Everything is relative, I have seen much worse situations than mine. I have a few friends who are habitual pack rats and are controlled by their "stuff". My collection of "stuff" expanded rather exponentially with the unexpected events of the past 4 years. I realized this and started taking steps to prevent it a few years back, or I would be in deep "stuff" today.

Quote:
I calculated that the company spent over $30K to store the stuff.
I don't have a number but my "stuff" has cost be between 10 and 20K over the years and it is just not worth it. I have taken the approach that the "stuff" reduction plan works like one of those TV reality shows where something gets voted off every month. The "tribe" is now small enough to fit inside the house, but tribal councils will continue until it all fits into 2 rooms, one of which is also the lab.

To accurately determine the "weakest links" now I need to build the mother of all tube testers. I had two good tube testers. They were pretty good at finding really dead tubes, but they wouldn't find the tubes that distorted, wouldn't make good power or were microphonic, so they got voted off the island a few months ago.

Sometime in the not too distant future I will leave south Florida and I have to move it ALL again.
Old 10th August 2012, 05:18 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Shuguang 350C "carbon plates". Looks like 807 with 1.6 A filament current.

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/images/File/350C.pdf

Here is it's datasheet. It has 400V plate voltage.

Are plate voltage and B+ same thing?

Hide this!Advertise here!