Spud: what, again!?! - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 11th May 2012, 01:01 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
Magnoval sockets have the correct pin circle diameter, but NOT the correct pin diameter. The correct socket in a Novar. Both have the same .687 pin circle, but the Novar has a .040 pin while the Magnoval has a .050 pin.
Ok, thanks for the clarification.

jeff
Old 11th May 2012, 01:37 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I know that Stan at ESRC has the right ones because I got them from him at the Orlando hamfest. I picked up a 6LR8 and tried them before buying.
It looks like ESRC has chassis mount Novar's only right now. Does he have a secret stash of PC mount ones, merely for interest's sake?

~Squiff
Old 12th May 2012, 01:13 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It looks like ESRC has chassis mount Novar's only right now.
They may not be listed in his catalog or on his web site. The last time I got any was February at the hamfest. Stan will be at the Dayton hamfest next weekend, so I will find out there, or I may call him tomorrow, since I got another wild idea while driving today. I am also planning to stop at his shop on my return trip. All the tubes I don't sell at the hamfest will be dropped off at ESRC, sold for store credit. It's like trading a few thousand tubes you don't need for a few you do need.

I spent 14 hours on the road today, and unlike many of the other idiots I see, I don't phone and drive......the blonde brain is too easilly distracted. I should have about 5 hours drive time tomorrow, then I'll call him. I got this idea.....while sitting in rush hour traffic in Atlanta. It requires those same sockets too.
Old 12th May 2012, 12:01 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
They may not be listed in his catalog or on his web site.
Are there any reliable sources of drawings for the Novar or Duodecar that show the dimensions of the PC mount sockets.

I've found conflicting info on the Novar -- 11.96 or 12 mm pin circle diameter, 36 degrees between pins, and either a 20 or 22 mm diameter circle for the PC mount tabs on the socket bottom.

The Duodecar is still a mystery for me so far. The sources of these sockets show pictures, but no dimensions. I guess I'll try the EIA documents from, say, a Wikipedia source on the 12-pin sockets or the 6LU8 datasheet references.
Quote:
I spent 14 hours on the road today, and unlike many of the other idiots I see, I don't phone and drive....I got this idea.....while sitting in rush hour traffic in Atlanta. It requires those same sockets too.
The phone thing drives me nuts too. Near where I live, a recent news item indicated a distracted driver was so focussed on his cellular call that he didn't notice the local police officer driving beside him, for 6 MILES, stopping sporadically at various traffic lights, with the christmas tree lights blazing. Since driving without a hands-free device is illegal here too, and part of a blitz by regional police, the guy received a multi-tiered fine when the officer finally put him out of his misery, wailed his siren and pulled him over.

On your "idea" front, just leave me two (2) little Novar sockets, OK?

~Squiff
Old 12th May 2012, 06:42 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiffiness View Post
Are there any reliable sources of drawings for the Novar or Duodecar that show the dimensions of the PC mount sockets.

I've found conflicting info on the Novar -- 11.96 or 12 mm pin circle diameter, 36 degrees between pins, and either a 20 or 22 mm diameter circle for the PC mount tabs on the socket bottom.

The Duodecar is still a mystery for me so far. The sources of these sockets show pictures, but no dimensions. I guess I'll try the EIA documents from, say, a Wikipedia source on the 12-pin sockets or the 6LU8 datasheet references.
Pete's library file may have all the PCB hole spacings, although I haven't looked at it:

DIY CAD programs

Here's another site with a chart that lists socket dims.:

Readout and Counting Tube Bases & Sockets

jeff
Old 12th May 2012, 09:05 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
...chart that lists socket dims.:

Readout and Counting Tube Bases & Sockets
Thanks Jeff. The pin circle diams are helpful for confirmation of what I've found so far.

I am keenly interested in the PC mount hole spacing on the bottom of the socket. For example, the B9A socket for the 12AT7 in the SSE has a pin circle diameter of 11.9mm. The drill holes on the SSE board are about 2mm on about a 20mm diameter circle.

I am after that key dimension for the PC mount versions of the B9E Novar and the B12C Duodecar.

Pete Millett's page looks promising, but I don't have software on any of my various Mac, Linux or Windoze computers that will decode his library.

If anyone has a magic decoder ring, respect in advance.

~Squiff
Old 12th May 2012, 09:39 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There has been little interest in the Spud SE, but if anyone knows where to get cheap (Chinese maybe) PC boards made in small quantities let me know. (a 4X6 inch board for $10).
Here is one in Malaysia that appears to charge US$9 per board with a setup cost at $75. Not sure about tinned through holes like on the SSE or tinning of the pads. That might be their $18 service showing on the same web page.

Question at this point: A couple of previous posts in this thread indicate that the prototype Spud "worked" and sounded acceptable. Based on the back and forth in this thread and the current state of the prototype and values stuffed on the proto-board, is this an amp that you would consider using as a "daily driver", so to speak, or better as something experimental like "your mileage may vary" and the end-user would need to play with it and tweak to get "good" sound? Really just a musing at this point, but I'm interested in thoughts on the SimpleSpud Protoype performance and the general audiences' experience with Spuds more generally (e.g. compromises).

~Squiff
Old 12th May 2012, 09:39 PM   #38
Fenris is offline Fenris  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There has been little interest in the Spud SE, but if anyone knows where to get cheap (Chinese maybe) PC boards made in small quantities let me know. (a 4X6 inch board for $10). To get reasonable prices on US made boards for the SSE, SPP, and TSE I must buy 100 at a time. They are still between $15 and $20 each with shipping and setup charges.
Safe travels Tubelab. My parents still live in Ft. Lauderdale (and I grew up there back when there was almost no buildup west of Executive Airport), so I am saddened to see it's decline as well. I may be moving to DC in the near future, you're welcome to visit whenever West Virginia becomes too rural.

For small PCB runs I like to use:
Fusion PCB Service [PCB08511P] - $9.90 : Seeed Studio Bazaar, Boost ideas, extend the reach
10 100mm x 150mm PCBs for about $70, 50 for $160. I've used them in the past and have always been impressed with the quality and speed for the price. I'm not associated with them in any way, just a past user. It's almost not worth even etching my own anymore.
Old 12th May 2012, 09:41 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am after that key dimension for the PC mount versions of the B9E Novar and the B12C Duodecar.
I have Pete's mechanical drawings of the "Big Red Board". The 12-pin circle diameter on the board measures ~1.0". I'm sure someone else can confirm this, George maybe? I remember the socket solder tabs were fairly flexible, so wouldn't be an issue if you were a bit off. I didn't buy any extras, and the chassis mount sockets are different anyway.

Quote:
Pete Millett's page looks promising, but I don't have software on any of my various Mac, Linux or Windoze computers that will decode his library.
There is a free version of Eagle which theoretically will let you view the library files.

jeff
Old 12th May 2012, 10:05 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have Pete's mechanical drawings of the "Big Red Board". The 12-pin circle diameter on the board measures ~1.0".
"Very extra special good, Mr. Coleman, sir!" (Dimitri...Trading Places - the movie). Great start for layout purposes.
Quote:
There is a free version of Eagle which theoretically will let you view the library files.
"Hello?!? McFly?!?" -- I do have EaglePCB freeware. I will proceed with that.

Sheesh -- my degree in Mech. Eng. should have made me more resourceful. Luckily, I have you guys to rein me back in and stay on task.

For the various watchers of this thread, query -- is anyone else interested in a Tubelab optimized Spud? Unless I am the only one voting, my meager single vote won't help get this off the launchpad.

~Squiff

Hide this!Advertise here!