Spud: what, again!?! - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 9th June 2012, 01:57 AM   #111
GanzerD is offline GanzerD  United States
diyAudio Member

This seems a good solution if you want a tube rectifier...
PS-5 Tube B+ Power Supply Kit
DaveG
Old 9th June 2012, 03:30 AM   #112
pso is offline pso  Spain
diyAudio Member

Hi GanzerD thanks for the link, but my intention is to mount a socket off board using the on board filter caps.
Old 9th June 2012, 05:19 AM   #113
rmyauck is offline rmyauck  Canada
diyAudio Member

Valve PS board in here:

Classic Valve Design - Vacuum Tube Printed Circuit and Turret Boards

Randy
Old 14th June 2012, 02:11 AM   #114
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
It started out to be a legal thing. Last year it was determined that I had to change the name. The trademark owner of a similar name agreed that I could continue to sell my existing stock of PC boards until it was depleted. New stock couldn't display the old name. Last year I did a new layout with only the name change, however the PC board vendor screwed up and used the old artwork. There are a few of those boards left, and new ones in house.
Ahh yes I'd forgotten the whole trademark debacle. Yeah, no plans to alter mine, works beautifully. Why mess with a good thing? That said, I've never tried 5AR4's in it, solid state for the first few months and NOS 5U4GB's since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
The Spud SE as it exists now uses a silicon rectifier in bridge configuration without using the transformer CT. This allows operation from cheap Antek toroids. It can be wired for a power transfoirmer with a CT also. I am not planning to put a rectifier tube on board since that will increase the board size and drive up the cost. I believe it is possible to wire an off board socket for a 5AR4 without any additional components using the on board filter caps. I will have to investigate this since I will need a negative voltage for the CCS....if I even use one. I am experimenting with just a big resistor and a fairly large negative voltage. Tube rectifiers are almost mandantory for guitar amps, so I'll look into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiffiness View Post
With the inexpensive board services out there, perhaps a peripheral board would be easiest to maintain cost and size control, while giving some flexibility to the overall design, even swapping rectifier tubes for the more advernturous. That way, you could keep the Pi filter in place after the current bridge rectifier design, pop in some jumpers and add the extra stuff like the CL140 and the bypass diodes to a small (say 5mm by 5mm) rectifier board. Just a thought.
Hmm hadn't really thought about a tube rectifier, but the more tubes the merrier I guess
Not one I'd really push for either way - if the option's there I'd probably go for it, but otherwise no need. Unless, as George says, you make a guitar amp out of it, then it's hard to go without (just not then same with SS now, is it?)
Old 21st September 2012, 04:23 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to booangler
I would be interested in Spud boards when they become available
Old 21st September 2012, 09:37 PM   #116
diyAudio Member

Has been some progress on the boards?
Old 5th November 2012, 07:01 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

Hi, finally going to make a few boards, or rejecting momentarily?
Old 6th November 2012, 02:34 AM   #118
diyAudio Member

I must report that there has been no progress on anything related to Tubelab since June. We did clean out the warehouse, but now there is "stuff" in every room of the house except the bathrooms and kitchen. Sherri is of course not happy with this situation.

Tubelab sales have died with the economy and even with the elimination of warehouse rent Tubelab is on track to lose money again this year. Sherri and my acountant are both trying to convince me that it is time to give up

My job has become more demanding, and I who just turned 60 yesterday find myself working more hours to keep up with the younger people in my group. I have worked in the same place for 40 years....I never expected to last that long, but due to compettitive pressures the employment outlook is looking better than it has in 10 years. After 11 years of laying people off, our group was allowed to hire 2 replacements for people who left this year. We are still very short staffed for what we do.

Our group designs custom RF IC chips. I am not a chip designer, but I am one of the few guys that tests, evaluates, designs evaluation boards, and prototype products for these chips. We taped out two new chip designs last month, and silicon is due back in December. I have 3 boards to design and lay out, and some software to write to drive them before then.

My daughter was about 3 months pregnant with our 3rd grandchild when she began leaking amniotic fluid. The hospital said there was only one possible course of action....terminate the pregnancy. They said that there was NO chance of carrying the baby to term. She told them where to go, and they told her to leave since she was not following sound medical advice. The folowing 6 months were full of ups and downs that had her and Sherri on the verge of a nervous meltdown. I can happilly report that my daughter gave birth to a healthy baby boy about 3 weeks ago, and we just got back from visiting them in Seattle.

In some of the few random moments of calm amongst the insanity I have got two new potential Tubelab projects in partial breadboard state. The original Spud SE board has parts sky wired all over it, but I can't honestly remember whether I was happy with it yet. There is a SMALL low cost guitar amp head in the same state. It actually works good, but I have not done a feasibility study to see if it is worth completing. A guitar amp must be "so easy even a drummer can build it" and sold as a COMPLETE kit...including a case.

Given the situation at work I don't see either of these projects seeing much action this year.

I must go out of town this weekend, and Sherri will be away for a few weeks, so I will start listing some of my excess "stuff" on Ebay next week in an attempt to show a profit or at least break even this year.
Old 6th November 2012, 02:27 PM   #119
diyAudio Member

Understood, I'm glad for her daughter and grandchild, congratulations.

Hide this!Advertise here!