SSE possible transformer problem. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 14th April 2012, 03:33 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

OK, I raised the resistor. off the board some. I also put the 5U4 GB tube in. The 5U4 GB knocked the B+ down to 344 and, also lowered the voltage on the resistors by about 2 volts each. Most importantly it got rid of the orange glow on the tubes. I'll live with this arrangement until I get some different resistors and mount it in a yet to be built proper case. I will post pictures when I get it all done.

Thanks again for all your help.

James,
Old 14th April 2012, 11:41 PM   #12
kkcinc is offline kkcinc  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a95sonoma View Post
Tube are 6n3c, voltage across resistor is 27.8 and 30 on the other. The resitors I got from Mouser were not the square ones. They look like normal resistors but they are wirewound and suposed to be rated for 5 watts. Should I replace them. I'd post pictures but they method of doing so without a link is alluding me at the moment. I have used the amp for a few hours this morning everything is working fine, sounds fantastic. They only thing that somewhat worries me is the heat of the resistors.

Thanks James,
If the tubes are 6n3c-e, with the small coin base(no black plastic around the base), then you can hammer them and they won't glow. I have been using them with 440v B+ and 560ohm resistor. I have also used them in a 60wpc pp amp intended for kt88's with no problems. They really are bulletproof. If you got the 6n3c with the black plastic base, they are not the same. I suspect they are closer to a 6l6 (no higher than 360v on the plate). But I could be wrong.
Old 15th April 2012, 04:58 AM   #13
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
The non -e version is more like an old 5881. They don't like running quite that hot. A 560 ohm resistor should calm thins down.
Old 15th April 2012, 04:23 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I'm pretty sure its the non c version. I'm going to change the resistors, before I get it mounted in a case. I'm probably pushing it right at it limits now, I got a little more voltage then expected when I modeled the power supply in PSUD. I using it with my old 98db sensitive, restored, Infinity SM-120's I bought new years ago. The sound is plenty loud for my abused but still decent hearing. I'd rather keep the tubes around for a while.
Old 15th April 2012, 05:14 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
OK, I raised the resistor. off the board some. I also put the 5U4 GB tube in. The 5U4 GB knocked the B+ down to 344 and, also lowered the voltage on the resistors by about 2 volts each. Most importantly it got rid of the orange glow on the tubes. I'll live with this arrangement until I get some different resistors and mount it in a yet to be built proper case. I will post pictures when I get it all done.

Thanks again for all your help.

James,
If you stick with 350ish volts B+ it will give you the option of trying 6v6's. That would be fun. Also at that voltage a 430 ohm cathode resistor should do the trick.
Old 15th April 2012, 07:05 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcinc View Post
If you stick with 350ish volts B+ it will give you the option of trying 6v6's. That would be fun. Also at that voltage a 430 ohm cathode resistor should do the trick.
I sorta kinda do have some 6v6's, I have 2 6n6c's and 4 6W6GT's I was going to use for a push-pull project. I want tp save the 6W6's for the push-pull, but I was originally going to use the 6n6c's in this amp until I decide to go with more volts. Wouldn't I still have to shed about 30 volts for the 6n6c's. They might be good tubes for summer use though.
Old 16th April 2012, 12:15 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I would stick with the 12at7 for the preamp. Use the 6v6's or the 6n3p's for the outputs. 350v is a good number. You'll have go way up on the cathode resistor for 6v6. Look at tubelab tubes and transformer page.
Just out of curiosity, why didn't you shoot for the 450v B+ that the amp was desligned for?
Old 16th April 2012, 01:43 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, why didn't you shoot for the 450v B+ that the amp was designed for?
I was looking more for a flea watt tube experience. If I want loud I can always plug back in my Pioneer A9 or I built a pretty good sounding chip amp with a tube front end last year. I grew up listening to classic hard Rock, but so much of it gets so over played on the car radio. I want something different to listen to when I get home. I have a large public library district with the option to put holds on CD's. I've been listening to much more Jazz and Folk when I'm home, I wanted a amp to go along with that.
Old 16th April 2012, 02:48 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I was looking more for a flea watt tube experience. If I want loud I can always plug back in my Pioneer A9 or I built a pretty good sounding chip amp with a tube front end last year. I grew up listening to classic hard Rock, but so much of it gets so over played on the car radio. I want something different to listen to when I get home. I have a large public library district with the option to put holds on CD's. I've been listening to much more Jazz and Folk when I'm home, I wanted a amp to go along with that.
Let me know how the 6v6 tubes work out. I bet They'll sound great. What opt's are you using?
Old 16th April 2012, 02:54 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I would stick with the 12at7 for the preamp. Use the 6v6's or the 6n3p's for the outputs. 350v is a good number. You'll have go way up on the cathode resistor for 6v6. Look at tubelab tubes and transformer page.
Just out of curiosity, why didn't you shoot for the 450v B+ that the amp was designed for?
For a experiment I put a big 10 watt 100 ohm resistor in series with the center tap. I got the b+ down to 313 workable for the 6n6c's. In the process I discovered one tube is bad. It passes a signal but it also pulses, it literately would flash bright blue then back down again. With each flash there was small but audible thud in the speaker. It was kinda neat to watch for a few seconds. I did take a quick reading on the working 6n6c with a 6n3p in the other channel. I got 18 volts on the cathode resistor or around 12 watts dissipation. The tube did sound good but I didn't want to play with this mismatch for long. The 100 ohm 10 watt is getting quite hot so it kinda defeats the purpose of less heat for summer time use.

Hide this!Advertise here!