Simple SE Build (hopefully high-end!) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 9th June 2012, 04:52 PM   #11
nate is offline nate  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi All,

So, there have been a few random posts about KT120s in a Simple SE. After some searching, I wasn't able to find anyone who had actually tried these tubes. Taking George's advice, I dropped the tubes in my stock Simple SE. The results were interesting when compared to JJ EL34s. Immediately, the noise floor seemed to be lower and the soundstage more distant (pushed back farther behind the speakers). The bottom end tightened up a bit as well. I have the adjustable Cathode bias switch as Russ used in his build and I was able to turn it all the way up and the tubes sounded even better with no noticeable changes in the tubes (no unusual glowing etc.) I really like both sets of tubes but I have found myself listening to the EL34s the most.

I had a couple sets of Audio friends over this past couple months and they all agree that the Simple SE with all of its 6 watts is a huge winner. It took some time for the amp's sound to settle down and now it is delivering the best sound I've had at my house.

Thanks again George and also thanks to Bud for the sweet OPTs.

Nate
Old 10th June 2012, 08:26 AM   #12
ttan98 is online now ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I think it is better to get a ready made single ended amplifier and modify it, it is cheaper as well.

I bought this,
EL34 6CA7 SE Single Ended Integrated Tube Amplifier | eBay

I mean to modify it, without modifications it sounds quite good already. BTW I use KT88 instead direct plug in without any component changes. I got it from the wholesaler direct and it costs me US$200 excluding postage. The chassis is chrome plated and worth more than $100 already.
Old 10th June 2012, 10:52 AM   #13
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Nate,

Very nice build!

Read many a happy builder testimonial on George's Simple SE on how good the amp sounds, and I am planning to build one also. I too wanted to go for O-netics Level-1 OPTs (users love'em) , but will have to pass this time. What speakers are you using?
Old 10th June 2012, 04:44 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi guys,
For speakers, I built some MTM floor standers using an Accuton 1.2" ceramic tweeter and a paid of Eton 7-372 mid woofers. They come out to be about 90db or so. I am getting enough volume out of them with EL34s (about 6 watts or so), but my Aikido preamp is pretty much full open…

I would strongly recommend the O'Netics OPTs. Bud is local for me so that saved on shipping costs. I'm getting a superb amount of detail out of this amp andI have give the credit to george and Bud.

Nate
Old 12th June 2012, 05:56 AM   #15
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
Need pics of those KT120s in there.
Old 18th June 2012, 05:31 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi Russ,
I will try to get some pics of the KT120s up soon. I am running the EL34s now and will have to get the KT120s from the garage.

Nate
Old 18th June 2012, 05:44 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttan98 View Post
Hi,

I think it is better to get a ready made single ended amplifier and modify it, it is cheaper as well.

I bought this,

I mean to modify it, without modifications it sounds quite good already. BTW I use KT88 instead direct plug in without any component changes. I got it from the wholesaler direct and it costs me US$200 excluding postage. The chassis is chrome plated and worth more than $100 already.
Interesting amp. I have though about buying an old Dynaco ST70 and refurbishing it, but I don't think that would have really scratched my itch. Building this amp was not cheap, but I sold my Audio Research for a good enough price where I could put the money right into another project (plus another couple hundred). As the title says, i wanted this amp to be "Hopefully Hi-End). It certainly has delivered so far. Given my schedule and total lack of free time for my hobbies (this is ok as my #1 hobby now is my daughter!) I had to build this amp right the first time. I don't really have any time to change out parts or experiment. I have heard quite a few other tube amps and this stands on its own. For $1000 this amp really is a game changer for me.
Nate
Old 18th June 2012, 03:20 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

What's the purpose of this post in a vendor forum? How does this help anyone considering or building Tubelab products.

The best one can say is that it is uncalled for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttan98 View Post
Hi,

I bought this,

Old 18th June 2012, 06:11 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Amp looks great Nate! I also like EL34s in triode mode. I run Omega speakers, if you haven't heard the SSE with a simple single driver speaker, give it a try sometime if you get the chance.
Old 19th June 2012, 02:49 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

I agree Fastbike1. Not really sure how that post fits in. I guess I gave the author the benefit of the doubt.

Hi Dave- I would like to try some full range drivers with the SSE, but I don't think it will happen any time soon…. My amp will be making a short local road trip to see how it powers some other speakers. A friend of mine has a pair of Daedalus Athenas that are amazing. They use a Fostex full range driver for the midrange. They are quite sensitive at 94db so it will be an interesting test. I have another friend with some 94db Coincident total Eclipse speakers at 94db that we will try too. I'm pretty excited.
Nate

Hide this!Advertise here!