More parts enquiries - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 29th March 2012, 02:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default More parts enquiries

Hi all,

I've started my build but I'm having some trouble finding a 120uf 500v cap for the power supply.

Audiocaps have a 150uf 500v cap, will this do the trick?

Also, I'm looking at some Mundorf silver in oil coupling caps. They have a .47uf cap but rated at 1000v, is this ok to use?

Thanking you in advance!
Old 29th March 2012, 04:35 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Well - Yes on both questions. However, it would help us give a more definative answer if you posted the schematic. Good luck.
Old 29th March 2012, 05:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

If you do a web search, JJ makes 500V electrolytics, as well as lots of others, Like Cornell Dubier, Panasonic TS-UP series, etc for less cash.

It appears that Digikey no longer stocks the 500V Panasonic TS-UP's, but they do stock the Cornell Dublier LX380 series.

Digi-Key - 338-2686-ND (Manufacturer - 380LX121M500K032)

What's the secondary voltage of your power transformer? Keep in mind that most of these low ESR snap-in power supply caps have a transient voltage rated 50V higher than the operating voltage rating (for cold start-up overshoot), take a look at the datasheets.

Last edited by boywonder; 29th March 2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 29th March 2012, 05:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Good point! Its a simple se.
Old 30th March 2012, 03:07 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It appears that Digikey no longer stocks the 500V Panasonic TS-UP's,
For the past two years 500 volt electrolytics were almost impossible to find. It seems that Panasonic just quit making them during the parts shortage that started about 2 1/2 years ago when they were capacity limited.

Now Digikey has the CD's and Mouser has some Nichicons. I have both to test, but haven't had the time to plug in my soldering iron yet this year. I will do a Simple SE video build up on YouTube as soon as I can find the time using the new parts. I see no reason that they wouldn't work. Several users left the cap out and used an off board motor run cap. That works too.

If you intend to solder the cap into the PC board it must have a 10 mm pin spacing. The big JJ's use tabs and will need to be mounted off board.
Old 30th March 2012, 04:09 PM   #6
nate is offline nate  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi all,

FYI, I used the JJ 500V caps (purchased at Partsconnexion.com) and they fit the board just fine. The cost is fairly reasonable and they look really cool with the black case and red lettering… You will be able to see pics of them in my upcoming build thread. I'm working on my casework today!
Part Number:
JJCAP-004-64302
Link:
http://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitor_ele_jjcap.html
Nate

Last edited by nate; 30th March 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 30th March 2012, 08:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Well I've managed to find some FT items from audiocap.co.uk for a good price so I'll give these a go and see how they do. They're in the 500v rating too.

Any ideas about Mundorf 1000v coupling caps?
Old 30th March 2012, 08:51 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudchute View Post

Any ideas about Mundorf 1000v coupling caps?
They'll certainly work............
Old 30th March 2012, 10:13 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I'm sensing a big butt on the way...
Old 30th March 2012, 10:54 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default The Mundorf Caps will work fine....

Mundorf typically = $$$$

For me, it's a bang-for the buck thing....

......just my opinion, but I'd save money on boutique caps and use good quality low ESR power supply caps, a choke and a motor run cap, good quality film caps for coupling (russian surplus on Ebay, wima MKP's, auricaps if one wants to spend a bit more) and use the money saved to buy upgraded output transformers. All of the other stuff can be easily upgraded in the future, but typically once you drill holes for the transformers, they are there for life.

The upgraded output transformers can always be used on a future project if the mood strikes, like a Tubelab SE

That's just me......YMMV.......and your budget.

Hide this!Advertise here!