Simple Se transformer ordering check - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 24th March 2012, 08:46 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Simple Se transformer ordering check

Hi all,

I'm ordering my bits for a simple se build and I'm about to order the trannies from edcor but I wanted to check if I had them down correctly.

I've gone for the CXSE25-8-5k opt's

The XPWR059-120/240 (I'm in the UK)

And the CXC125-10h-200ma choke.

Sound good?

Thanking you!
Old 24th March 2012, 01:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Looks like excellent choices. What output tubes are you planning on using?

The XPWR059 has a -50V bias tap that you won't need, but interestingly it's the same price as the XPWR010 which has the same specs without the bias tap. If you don't mind tying off the unused tap, the XPWR059 gives options for future projects. If you don't want to deal with a extra wire, consider the XPWR010.

If your plan is to crank KT88's at lots of bias current, you could consider a bit more current capacity than 175ma...although the ones above should work just fine.

Needing a 240V primary limits the Edcor choices a bit.....Their new sorting feature on the webpage is quite convenient.
Old 24th March 2012, 02:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I haven't decided yet as to what tubes to use. I'm busy getting a variety of bits together ready for the build but wanted to get these on order asap due to the building and shipping times.

I'm curious about what combination tubes will work well with my speakers. I have some mk3 frugelhorns with Fostex fe126en drivers. They're a bit light on the lower end, not enough so that I'd want a sub of any sort but I'm unsure as to what can get the best of them on the lower end of the scale...
Old 29th March 2012, 04:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

As a sweeping generalization, KT-88's can provide good bass grunt, and EL-34's can do mids/vocals really well usually with a bit less bass, although amplifier damping factor and loudspeaker response will obviously play a large part.
Old 30th March 2012, 12:40 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I've tried KT88's (EHX), EL34's (JJ) and 6L6's (Russian 6P3S-e, Tung Sol)
KT88's give you more power, and good low end.
EL34's took me a while to warm to (pun not intended) but after a combination of burn in and getting used to them, pretty much found the same as boywonder (mids and vocals are excellent, if not a touch light on the bass)
Big fan of the Russian 6P3S-e, cheap as chips and they actually sound very good (have half a drawer full of these)
Recently (6 months ago) put the current production Tung Sol 6L6GC-STR in, and wow, they're brilliant. Built like tanks, sound beautiful through the whole spectrum and have almost as much bass as the KT88's I tried.

For preamp tubes, I've used almost solely old NOS or used tubes. Best out of those were the black plate RCA, Tung Sol and Cifte. Although 12AT7's are specified in the design, I've had some good results with a few of the other 12A*7 varieties. I've found a few of the current production tubes tend to be a bit harsh for my liking.

Rectifiers, I've been going for all NOS (or used but test well) tubes. They're not much more than current production and last a damn long time.
Old 30th March 2012, 07:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the info guys. Its helped me pick my initial choice of tube. I've picked up some svetlana KT88's and some mullards for pre and rectifier tubes so hopefully I'll be off to a good start with them.

I'll try out those tung sol jobbies, they sound like a winner for sure!

Hide this!Advertise here!