• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

6AV5GAs Re-Visited -OR- Pretty Darn Good SE Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If playing with 6AV5/6FW5, make sure to have fuses installed in series with HT end of O/P transformer primary - as per advice given by George and others, might save a bit of pain if the O/P tube "takes off" into runaway - we are being a bit negotiable with screen grid rating in triode mode :)

Attached is a somewhat ratty looking schematic that might be of use.
There is no magic in it, I used Tubelab's Power Drive cct with a triode strapped 6AG5/6BC5 (and LED bias), and a random power MOSFET 2SK2717 as source follower. The output transformer is a One Electron UBT-3.
Since I drew that one, I replaced the load resistor for the MOSFET with another IXCP10M45 CCS, set to 10mA, and increased the supplies for the MOSFET to +&- 150 volts.
With damper rectified power supply delivering ~330 volts to output stage, power is 6-7 watts with 6AV5 biased for 60mA. The UBT-3 has excellent bandwidth in this circuit, AFAIR the -3dB points at 1 watt were 15Hz and 45k respectively.
Lively sounding unit for a SE, visitors have preferred it to my other projects, plays well on Klipsch Heresys.
I can't compare it to a 300B since I don't have any, but I'd comment that my intent when putting it together was to make a SE with bandwidth and little "sound" of it's own.

Attachments

• SE_schema_20120801_0001.pdf
    90.2 KB · Views: 314
oddball tubes in the SSE

Howdy Guys!

Long idle thread brought back...
Is the O/P still around? Paging hareynolds... hope you're well and continuing your adventures with the 6AV5
Great stuff in the early posts of this thread, have any of you modded your SSE's with "alternative" tubes? Not just the easy drop ins, but some that require similar creativity with the wiring...

Ed in NC, I really like your work, I've followed your stuff over on diytube.com! Have you done any more work with the 6GE5? Like hareynolds found with the 6AV5 it might have promise in the SSE

Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.