• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DN2540N5 cascade CCS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

I'm a complete newbie at DIY Audio scene, already learned a lot from previous posts and explanations so, thank you all :)

I'm ready to start to build a Simple SE, i have already a part list made and where to source them with an exception.... the IXCP10M45S. Cant find it anywhere in Europe and Mouser don't allow order it :mad: I investigate and a DN2540 cascade might work, the only concern is run the 12AT7 at 9mA which i might be able to do with the variable resistor instead of the 330 Ohm R13 resistor....

Can someone say if this circuit can replace the IXCP10M45S?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If a complete mess, please be kind ;)

Thanks

Rui

Can someone say if this circuit can replace the IXCP10M45S?

You don't need to get that complicated. The TSE and the SSE will both work with the DN2540 in place of the IXCP10M45S. The value of the current set resistor will need to be changed to get 9 or 10 mA. I built an SSE with the DN2540 and a TSE with DN2540's in place of the CCSs and the mosfets. Both worked fine. I can not find my notes with the resistor values written down but I think it was about 200 ohms.

The DN2540 is only rated for 400 volts. You will drop at least 100 volts across the driver tube so the CCS sees 100 volts less than the B+ so the DN2540 is fine in circuits with a B+ of 500 volts or less.

I will re-run the experiments to arrive at the resistor values when I get time, but I am so swamped at my full time job that I haven't had any time for Tubelab stuff recently. It will be a few weeks or so before I get caught up from last years Christmas vacation.

Hi.

Already have solder the resistors to the board and this week i will try finish it. I'm waiting the Edcor OPT, don't know how much time for.

I will leave R13/R23 to the end. I might put a 210 Ohm and read the voltage across it. If too high or low i will change it.

Thank's for the prompt shipment. :cool:

Finished :)

Hi.

Almost finished my Simple SE :D Only need some cosmetics attention and tweak *the earth config.

It plays beautifully :) :) :)*

It was a great *first adventure building this amp as i had to learn a lot but it was worth it :)
Made some mistakes... the box is small for a firts amp building, burned a dn2540 and a lot of others ones...

Used a dn2540 mosphet instead of the 10M45.
I ended with B+ of 442
12AT7 plate voltage *200v, cathode voltage 1.41v. Used a 150ohm resistor at R13/23, it gives 9.4mA*
The output tubes have, *measured, resistors possibilities: 740;676;600;552;465 or 422 Ohm.

Have to take some photos, i'm proud ;)

Thank you George for the project availability and help.
Thanks RKnize for the checkout tutorial and the cathode resistor selecting idea and info.
Thanks chrisb for the help and thoughts given.
Thank you all whom already asked/answered my doubts :)

Rui

Hi.

I'm ready to start to build a Simple SE, i have already a part list made and where to source them with an exception.... the IXCP10M45S. Cant find it anywhere in Europe and Mouser don't allow order it.

Rui

Mouser has it in stock, they just list it with a Mouser number. I got mine from Mouser for my Simple SE. (See link below)

Actually almost everything listed in the part list for Digikey is also available at Mouser. I just looked up the part on Digikey, got the manufacturer number, not Digikey's number. I then queried the manufacturer number in Mouser's web sight and the parts came up.

IXCP10M45S Ixys Current & Power Monitors & Regulators

As I was told in the past about this, Mouser is only authorized to sell IXYS components in the USA

If you live else where you need to find an IXYS distributor in your country, and hope they carry the full IXYS line.

You might get Digikey to send some but international shipping might be the deal breaker.

Thank you all.

I have to say i already built the amp and used DN2540 instead of the IXCP10M45S because of difficulty to find them in Europe...

Now, the worst part of it.... in my amp, they fry/mulfunction/die/whatever and i don't know why :confused:
In the final checkup after the amp finished i noticed one of them not working and replaced it. Right now i have both not working :h_ache::h_ache:
The input voltage, 315v, is lower than the maximum in it's specs...

What can cause this?:confused:

Rui

Thank you all.

I have to say i already built the amp and used DN2540 instead of the IXCP10M45S because of difficulty to find them in Europe...

Now, the worst part of it.... in my amp, they fry/mulfunction/die/whatever and i don't know why :confused:
In the final checkup after the amp finished i noticed one of them not working and replaced it. Right now i have both not working :h_ache::h_ache:

Rui

Ive heared they are very sensitive to electrostatic voltage, if that can be the case.

Staffan

Thank you all.

Rui

Never have had one die from static. But in some circuits, I've seen them die from transient oscillation and start-up/shut-down issues, whereas other MOSFETs survive just fine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.