Simple SE Cathode Resistor Values - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 11th January 2012, 01:34 AM   #1
skidave is offline skidave  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Simple SE Cathode Resistor Values

Hello,

I'm slowly working to get my Simple SE assembled. I'm looking for some suggestions for the Cathode resistors for various tubes.

I'm using a Hammond 274 transformer, 5AR4, and a Triad C-14X choke. My output transformers are 5K Edcors.

I'd like to install a rotary switch with a few resistors for various tubes. I looked at George's site and the information provided for the B+, tubes and resistor combos. I'm looking for suggestions...

I'd like to run KT88s, 6L6s, maybe 6V6s for now. I have a dual gang 6 position switch I ordered from Mouser so I can select various resistors.

I did see some posts with switches, but it looks like people were switching a resistor in parallel for one different tube. I thought the rotary would give me a few more options.

Thanks...Dave
Old 11th January 2012, 07:23 AM   #2
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
This is mine:

Click the image to open in full size.

There is a 680 ohm on the board and the following are switched in parallel by the 6-position rotary:

3.3k (for ~560ohms)
1.5k (for ~470ohms)
1.2k (for ~430ohms)
910 (for ~390ohms)
750 (for ~360ohms)
680 (for 340ohms)

I made a spreadsheet to help come up with target values and calculate the necessary power ratings.
Old 11th January 2012, 07:25 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

...oh and you won't be able to run 6V6 with that amount of B+. It's possible to do it by modifying the power supply filter to switch from CLC to LC, as was brought up recently in another thread.
Old 11th January 2012, 07:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Russ,

Thanks for sharing and I ejoyed your website. I did not see your spreadsheet posted anywhere on your site. Do you still have your data available.

When you did your test points, did you just set it up so the points measured across the cathode resistor. I plan to do the same.

Dave
Old 11th January 2012, 08:06 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes, the test points are across the resistor so I have to do the math when measuring. I have the original spreadsheet kicking around. I'll post it tonight if I remember.
Old 11th January 2012, 09:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks. Your website is fantastic.
Old 11th January 2012, 11:48 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknize View Post
This is mine:
(photo removed for space)

There is a 680 ohm on the board and the following are switched in parallel by the 6-position rotary:

3.3k (for ~560ohms)
1.5k (for ~470ohms)
1.2k (for ~430ohms)
910 (for ~390ohms)
750 (for ~360ohms)
680 (for 340ohms)

I made a spreadsheet to help come up with target values and calculate the necessary power ratings.
Russ,

The resistors in the photo are 3W rating, unless mine eyes deceive me. Is your 680R on the board in R17/R27 the same? Or is it 5W as a hedge against your switch failing or the resistor you are placing in parallel failing open?

Just wondering, or are you playing a little V^2/R action for each leg to determine a power handling requirement?

Since I am planning a similar scheme (in another recent thread), I am interested in this too.

~Brad
Old 12th January 2012, 01:40 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

The 680s are the 5W type. The rest are 2 or 3W, depending. See the attached spreadsheet. The columns may warrant some explanation:

B) The expected cathode current from George's table.
C) The total cathode resistance I am shooting for. Tweak these to get the Vk that you like.
D) The actual cathode resistance calculated from "R1" and "R2 avail".
E) The target cathode-to-grid voltage from Ik and Rk.
F) The total power dissipated by the cathode resistor(s)
G) The on-board resistor "R1".
H) The power dissipated by "R1".
I) The exact "R2" value needed in parallel with "R1" to get the target "Rk" value.
J) The power dissipated by the ideal "R2".
K) The actual "R2" value, based on what is available.
L) The power dissipated by the actual "R2" resistor. The resistor should be rated at least twice this amount.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Cathode Resistor Calculator.xls.zip (3.2 KB, 114 views)
Old 13th January 2012, 01:00 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks Russ. I had a whole 2 minutes to look at your information today because work was so busy. I see you are giving yourself a few different current settings for each tube with your switch resistor configuration.

I'm in the middle of my build and I need to order a few more items from Mouser. I think I am going to determine safe values for the tubes (KT88, EL34 and 6L6GC) and order these values.

I appreciate you sharing your data. I plan to look more tomorrow. I am also going to provide a set of jacks for current measurement for cathode resistor (like you have).

Dave

Hide this!Advertise here!