Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 8th January 2012, 09:14 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Well, many of us here have asked.......but with Edcor you can have any color you want as long as it's blue......

I have purchased the bare endbells from them; they are cheap $$ and work fine although you still need to paint or powdercoat them. I've bought some of these endbells to retrofit onto 200 series Hammand transformers, they bolted right up. BTW, the blue powder coating can be removed with paint stripper.

Edcor used to have a $20 NRE fee for custom orders, but IIRC it's now $40. The customs end up as std product once someone orders and pays the NRE. The XPWR-131 is an example, Rknize ordered it custom for use in the Tubelab SE with 45's or 300B tubes and many of us have since purchased it stock off of the Edcor site.

The transformers are built to order, so that equates to a 5 week lead time typically, sometimes a little more or less. So placing your order sooner rather than later makes sense. I once asked Phyllis at Edcor why they don't stock popular transformers and she laughed, stating that they can barely keep up with the orders.

Last edited by boywonder; 8th January 2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 8th January 2012, 09:30 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Well, many of us here have asked.......but with Edcor you can have any color you want as long as it's blue......
When did Edcor go "all Ford Model T" on their customers? Guess Henry Ford would be proud, but, of course he liked all the colours mixed together into black.

I have emailed Edcor support, just in case they had a good holiday and are feeling something other than festive gentian blue. Maybe neon green...or Addams Family midnight flat black. Suppose I could always get some rectangular covers like those from K&K, Lundahl or "Cubes for Tubes" in Denmark.
Old 9th January 2012, 01:00 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I have a pair of very early vintage Edcor OPT's. Back then they were only one color, bright METALLIC blue. It was the same color as a "Pimp my Ride" Cadillac that used to hang out in the neighborhood.

They can be seen in this photo, and yes that is a working amp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Furball_board_2_b.jpg (79.0 KB, 173 views)
Old 9th January 2012, 04:01 PM   #14
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
It's just one of their little things...part of their trademark/identity I guess. The powder coating is tough to remove so I would pickup the raw bells that they offer if you find it offensive. Also, their core sizes are fairly standard. For example, the bells from a 193J Hammond choke fit one of my Edcor trannys perfectly.
Old 9th January 2012, 09:36 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
I have a pair of very early vintage Edcor OPT's. Back then they were only one color, bright METALLIC blue. It was the same color as a "Pimp my Ride" Cadillac that used to hang out in the neighborhood.
That IS a shocking blue...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rknize View Post
It's just one of their little things...
Someone at Edcor must love gentian blue is all I can figure...
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiffiness View Post
I have emailed Edcor support, just in case they had a good holiday and are feeling something other than festive gentian blue
Suprise of surprises...Edcor said 'no'. However, they did say "I'm sorry..." Guess I'll either learn to like Edcor Blue or get some covers or build a really deep chassis to hide them away. I really want to showcase the tubes, not so much the iron.

On the R17/R27 front, staying on topic, the selector switch (double deck, 1 pole per deck) is the way to go after some thought.

The scheme incorporates the advice in this thread, with a main "protective" R17/R27 soldered onto the SimpleSE board (e.g. the stock 560R). In parallel with each is then a 1k unit in series to the input of the selector, followed by a variety of stock values at the switch positions.

Maybe I could use all the convective and radiative heat from this resistor selector to cook off the Edcor Blue...hmmm.
Old 10th January 2012, 06:19 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

It's a small price to pay given the quality you are getting for the price of their OPTs. I was so pumped when I found out about these guys from this forum, especially how they can so easily make custom power transformer designs and are willing do to so for the DIYer. No more scrolling back and forth through Hammond's website trying to find a workable solution only to have it overheat and be way out of spec in the end.

For the switch, it doesn't have to be double-deck. It just needs to have two poles. For 6 or fewer positions, they can fit two poles on one deck. Just FYI if you are searching on Mouser or wherever. Mine is 2P6T single deck:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 20th January 2013, 03:45 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknize View Post
It's a small price to pay given the quality you are getting for the price of their OPTs. I was so pumped when I found out about these guys from this forum, especially how they can so easily make custom power transformer designs and are willing do to so for the DIYer. No more scrolling back and forth through Hammond's website trying to find a workable solution only to have it overheat and be way out of spec in the end.

For the switch, it doesn't have to be double-deck. It just needs to have two poles. For 6 or fewer positions, they can fit two poles on one deck. Just FYI if you are searching on Mouser or wherever. Mine is 2P6T single deck:

Click the image to open in full size.

Is this a a suitable switch for this purpose ?

Ebay-rotary-selector-switch
Old 20th January 2013, 05:48 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Yup, that is the switch you need. The leads don't have eyelets, but you can curl them with a pair of small pliers to make your own eyelets. You don't want to let the solder act as the structure support for the joint in a point-to-point arrangement.
Old 4th February 2013, 04:15 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

The type of resistor makes a pretty big difference. I started with Kiwame (Carbon Film) due to a friend's recommendation and later changed out my cathode resistors to Mills non-inductive wirewound. Mills is far superior IMO and I'd never use Kiwame again unless you want a warm (distorted) sound.
Old 4th February 2013, 04:44 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Given that the resistor is bypassed by a huge cap, I am a bit skeptical that the cathode resistor design can make an audible difference here unless something else was awry.

Hide this!Advertise here!