TSE CCS fail - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 1st January 2012, 04:28 AM   #1
jrenkin is offline jrenkin  United States
diyAudio Member

Default TSE CCS fail

I must have done something to fry them both, sigh.
First checkout was fine, then I hooked up an input signal, no sound and then re-check showed a mess. I am not sure what wires I crossed where, But something happened. It is a point to point sett up, so that may be more prone to happen.

The current situation with the driver circuit is no matter how I adjust the 5842 bias resistors, I can only get 87-95 volts at the plate, measured directly. I can adjust the bias resistors from 0 to 500 ohms and that works fine. The CCS grid and current set resistors are fine and to spec per the schematic.Ground is correct and I have tried 4 tubes. I have full B+ at the center pin of the IC, and voltages similar to the plate voltage on the other pins. There do not seem to be any shorts or anything, so I can only guess it is a problem with both ICs.

Really?

Any other thoughts?

Go figure, I bought multiple extras of every component in the parts list EXCEPT the CCS ICs, sigh.

On an additional thought, if I want to try to get it running with a traditional bias circuit and no Mosfet, just to make sure I can get the other parts to work, all I need to do is replace the grid leak with a larger resistor, maybe 50K or any suggestions?
Old 1st January 2012, 05:27 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Sorry. mixed up my plans with mosfet and
CCS. I could replace the CCS witha 23-25K resistor, right?
Old 2nd January 2012, 09:39 PM   #3
jrobson is offline jrobson  South Africa
diyAudio Member

How would you wire up a 23-25k resistor? I have a problem buying CCS's so if one can replace it with a resistor that would be great.
Old 2nd January 2012, 10:16 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well, I think it would end up being more around a 10K resistor, if my math is correct. It would simply replace the CCS and associated resistors. A standard resistor load for the stage. You might have to try few to get the current right, it is an interplay between the cathode resistance and the plate load resistance. A CCS is theoretically better, but I am not sure since I seem to be unable to get mine to work. The circuit is fine, so I must have fried them, I did get way too much voltage for a while. I hope I haven't fried the Mosfets too, or any caps...

I am about to order 10 IXCP10M45S CCS IC from digikey, I won't need that many, should I drop two in an envelope and hope they make it to South Africa undetected?
Old 3rd January 2012, 12:00 PM   #5
jrobson is offline jrobson  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Thanks but I think I'll be okay for now, problem is not customs it's Ixys who doesn't allow digikey and mouser to ship outside their areas because we have a local importer(that doesn't stock the CCS's) I found an online shop that ships here, just expensive, but I'll know for sure what the situation is like when I plug in the new tubes.

Hide this!Advertise here!