• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Tubelab Simple SE motor run votages

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have two motor runs I'd like to replace the two electrolytics with in the power supply. A 50uf for the 47uf lytic and a 100uf for the 120uf lytic. Question is, will the 370vac rating work in c1? and the other one for that matter. The amp has been running fine with the 370vac auxilary motor run until now, but c1 is the first cap and I don't know if 370vac will hold up. B+ now is 440 using the allied transformer.

Your 370 rating has been overstressed, this shows you just how durable some components are............Using the 1 1/2 times rule of thumb, the next common voltage level is 600 VDC or the 'old' 630 VDC. Higher ratings won't hurt but you just might run out of room on the board.

_______________________________________________________Rick....

The 370 voltage rating is VAC. This is a capacitor designed to operate directly on the AC line to create a phase shift for running a motor. The 370 VAC rating should imply a DC rating of at least 370 * 1.414 since the motor could be switched on at the peak of the AC cycle. This would imply a DC rating of 523 volts. These caps are designed to handle line voltage transients and to pass considerable current continuously. There should be no issue using a 370 VAC capacitor in an SSE. I have run them at DC voltages up to 500 volts without issue. There have been a few SSE's built with motor run caps and no electrolytics.

Anyone have one that rattles a little when shaken? The 100uf tests fine on the meter, but has a slight rattle inside the metal can. If I squeeze the connectors really tight it goes away. I don't recall any others ever rattling. I don't recall ever shaking one however.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.