high voltage on heat sink - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 2nd December 2011, 02:14 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I was curious why George doesn't, in the interest of safety.
I didn't use insulators in my amps because there are lost of dangerous things on that board and I believe that they should all be off limits to the user once the amp is completed.

Quote:
I assume that no crazy designer has used the heatsink as a current / signal path.
Crazy designer....yes, but.....There are no electrical connections through the heat sinks, so an insulator can be added if the parts are well heat sunk. Many builders have pushed the board to voltages that I never thought of when I designed it. The "standard conditions" for a 300B 7 years ago was 360 to 375 volts at 60 to 80 mA. The Russian and Chinese tubes that I use will blow up at 400+ volts.

Higher voltages increase the dissipation in the mosfets and a insulating pad will increase the thermal resistance. If you have installed larger heat sinks and want to use an insulator, then go for it. If you built the board as designed and are running over 400 volts, it might not bee too good of an idea.
Old 2nd December 2011, 02:36 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

one time I got a big shot when I was checking a Sony ES serie receiver, I touched the heat sink and I did not see that my other hand was touching the chassis. The heat sink got really hot when it was at normal volume and when I increased the volume to 1 o'clock..uffff I could cook an egg on it!!!. I sold it to my friend and He also noticed and He told why I sold him a heater lol.

Hide this!Advertise here!