45 TSE Checkout Fail - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 17th January 2012, 02:28 AM   #11
beeah is offline beeah  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Hope View Post
Some background hum - hopefully casework, motor-run cap, will reduce that significantly.
Glad to hear you got it working.

I too just got a TSE 45 up and running, and I was disappointed to hear so much background hum, despite that fact that it made beautiful music. I replaced R4 with a 8H choke, and the hum has disappeared. YMMV, but I'd give that a shot before doing anything else.
Old 17th January 2012, 05:45 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeah View Post
Glad to hear you got it working.

I too just got a TSE 45 up and running, and I was disappointed to hear so much background hum, despite that fact that it made beautiful music. I replaced R4 with a 8H choke, and the hum has disappeared. YMMV, but I'd give that a shot before doing anything else.
THanks ... but I had a choke installed from the start. Adding the motor-run cap has made no difference. The whole thing is a breadboard tangle of wires at present - plenty of scope for hum. Anyway I will do the casework now, get the earths properly sorted, then see where I stand.

The music is sublime though! This will be worth it.
Old 17th January 2012, 06:58 PM   #13
jrobson is offline jrobson  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Well done, how far are your OPT's from your input transformer and choke?
Old 17th January 2012, 08:42 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobson View Post
Well done, how far are your OPT's from your input transformer and choke?
Transformer is at 90 to OPTs, they are in a line, fairly close - just as they are in many commercial / diy SET amps. Choke fairly close by, not much option on the breadboard. Inputs are twisted. Still got a multi-meter attached to B+.

I'm not going to systematically chase hum until these are all mounted on a sheet of aluminium with the power components on the left, OPTs on the rear, input paths well away from power components, and earthing properly done. I remember spending ages going through all this with my previous amp - it was a revision to the grounding which solved it there.

I won't be able to start casework until next week. Got the aluminium sheet and a set of drill-bits for the various holes required. Same basic construction as my previous amp, so I'm on familiar ground.

Previous amp:

External:

Click the image to open in full size.

Internal:

Click the image to open in full size.

Will post progress here ...

Alan

Hide this!Advertise here!