• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

SSE weird hum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I have choose to build a Tubelab SSE as my first diy project, it's comming very good, as my low skills and electronics knowledge.

I have a extrange hum noise from the amplifier when i connect some sources, but have no hum with other sources. I've perform several search and all come to a common sentence: "ground loop".

I'm gonna give examples of connecting and hum results:

1. Tube preamp (Xindak 3250) causes hum
2. HD300A media player causes hum
3. Bravo tube preamp/headphone amp don't causes hum
4. Sansa Fuze player don't cause hum
5. No connection at all don't cause hum
6. Satellite tv decoder cause hum
7. Only one RCA connected causes high hum in the other channel

Well, at this point, how can i fix this?

The configuration for the SSE is:

- Tubes JJ-GZ34, Phillips-12AT7, 2xJJ-E34L
- Choke 6H 220 mA (Custom made)
- Suplemental Motor Run CAP 100 uF 450 V

Thanks in advance.

Not sure I can be much of a help; my two SSE's have no hum issues, but so far I have only connected my computer audio (MacMini, no ground wire), my iPod/Phone and my CD player.
Did you follow the wiring diagram on George's website exactly, i.e. did you connect your power cord's ground wire directly to your RCA input jacks?

Do you have a picture of your wiring that you could share?

I'm gonna give examples of connecting and hum results:

6. Satellite tv decoder cause hum

The cable TV has the problem, i have disconnect all the artifacts from the preamp, and the noise gonne. Then connected one by one, until connect de satellite deco and the hum is back!

So, nothing related to the SSE or the preamp.

Well, how can i fix that issue (noise coming from cable tv)? i've enjoy the satellite radio channels, and don't wanna loose it.

Regards,

The cable TV has the problem, i have disconnect all the artifacts from the preamp, and the noise gonne. Then connected one by one, until connect de satellite deco and the hum is back!

So, nothing related to the SSE or the preamp.

Well, how can i fix that issue (noise coming from cable tv)? i've enjoy the satellite radio channels, and don't wanna loose it.

Regards,

Hi- I use a suitable Balun transformer mfg and sold in the USA by Jensen. It is very effective. Best wishes. John

Thanks John, can you post a link for a balun transformer to match to a product here in Chile,

regards,

EDIT:

Are these transformers?: Jensen Transformers VRD-1FF Cable TV Ground Isolator | eBay

Yes it is the one I referred to. However, on review I noticed that it will not work with a Satelite system, which needs continuity in the feed line to work. It was designed for CATV and similiar systems. The only other suggestion I have for your problem, is for you to connect a very good ground connection to the RF line, but please refer to your systems Instruction Manual before doing anything. Good Luck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.