Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 19th June 2012, 02:46 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorm View Post

High voltage MOSFET's:
Original schematic on the Tubelab web site specified 2SK2700 which is listed as OBSOLETE by Digikey and mouser, and neither of them have it any longer. (you can still get it on eBay but it will disappear soon I think...)

The part list specifies 2SK3563 (higher current - is that necessary?) - but again, it's listed as OBSOLETE, neither Digikey nor mouser have it any longer. Not even eBay.

Appreciate any suggestions,

Cheers,
-Victor
I'm using the 2SK3564 in both of my Tubelab SE's, they are 900V rated instead of 500V rated and are still available at Digi-key. The 2SK3563 probably has slightly better Crss but the 500V source-drain voltage rating is a little tight even in my 45 version of the amp.

Here is a related thread (and there are a few others...)
Mosfets for Tubelab SE?
Old 19th June 2012, 10:17 PM   #32
victorm is offline victorm  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks boywonder. Digikey don't have the 2SK3564 any longer ;-( Mouser still have a few. I also remember someone on this thread talking about using the 2SK3565 - they are still available.

Hopefully I will get the board soon and then will see what is available.
Cheers, -Victor
Old 21st June 2012, 05:05 PM   #33
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Default Power transformers

Previously had my mind set on the Hammond 373/374BX power transformer for my SSE project.

Came across this on the Edcor site:

EDCOR - XPWR002-240

Power transformer for a 240V, 50/60Hz. line to 720V (360-0-360) at 220mA center tapped, 60V at 800mA, 6.3V at 7A and 5V at 4A.

Price is around 1/2 of the Hammond models... specs look good to my newbie eyes.

Also would this be suitable for a future TSE build? Then I can think of buying a pair and save on the shipping maybe.
Old 21st June 2012, 07:50 PM   #34
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
It's overkill in terms of VA, but it will work just fine. I used the XPWR035.
Old 21st June 2012, 08:18 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post

Also would this be suitable for a future TSE build? Then I can think of buying a pair and save on the shipping maybe.
If you are going to buy a pair, consider buying the XPWR002-240 and the XPWR131-240 for an additional $7 or so total. The XPWR131 was commissioned by none other than Rknize for the TubelabSE; it has two sets of secondaries to allow either 300B's or 45's/2A3's to be used in the TSE.

Russ paid the NRE to have this P/N made and now the rest of us get to benefit.

Thanks again Russ!
Old 21st June 2012, 08:31 PM   #36
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
Haha...NP. I didn't mind helping out with that and I refused to use a Hammond.

Sorry, I didn't see the other part of your question. The transformer you selected would be too hot for a TSE.
Old 22nd June 2012, 05:14 AM   #37
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Russ, Boywonder thanks for your replies, and special thanks to Russ for getting a new part number in place for the DIY community!

My investments on the 300B TSE till date amount to the ordering of a TSE PCB only. If I order the XPWR131-240 that means another brick in the wall, and brace myself for the $$$ that's required for a quality 300B.

If I decide against the TSE build, would I be able to use this for another Tubelab PP project? The ratings look kind of close (660v vs 650v recommended for the EL84 based PP).

For a guy who is a total newbie and still in the process of building his first Tubelab PP (with a lot of help), these are big thoughts maybe.
Old 8th July 2012, 09:32 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Hey guys, need some advice ;-)
Got the Tubelab SE board and preparing the components now (300B based version). As shipping to Australia in not cheap, I'd like to make sure right things are ordered. Have read George's notes and narrowed down the OPT choice to One Electron UBT-3 vs EDCOR CXSE25-8-3K. From what I can see, there are opinions favouring either side, but I have not seen any comments form anyone using the Big EDCORS with TSE? Please let me know any feedback - really appreciate your help.
Cheers,
-Victor
Old 8th July 2012, 11:06 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
From what I can see, there are opinions favouring either side, but I have not seen any comments form anyone using the Big EDCORS with TSE? Please let me know any feedback - really appreciate your help.
I tried both.

The short story.....I sold the One Electrons at the Daytom Hamfest a few months ago and my TSE uses the big Edcors.

Details The One Electrons sounded pretty much the same as the Electra Prints that are in my other TSE. The big Edcors have a lot more bass, and give up a little high end. The second TSE uses 307A tubes that just seem to like the Edcors better.

Note the One Electrons that I had were 3K ohm and the Edcors were 5K. I also have a bunch of 3K Transcendars, so I sold the OE's.
Old 9th July 2012, 03:51 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Thanks very much for this! This seals my decision to go with the Big Edcors ;-) which should hopefully go well with the XPWR131-240 and CXC125-10H-200mA.
Just on the other topic - does anyone have any volume pot recommendations? I was thinking about Potentiometer - 100K Dual, Linear PC Mount, 3/8" Bushing | Antique Electronic Supply LLC...
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
-Victor

Hide this!Advertise here!