Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 19th May 2012, 07:33 PM   #21
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
It's in post #126 here Pictures of your Tubelab amp
Beautiful - your amp looks very nice! Probably enough people have told you already, and 430 man hours is no joke - but the results are sweet . I see it's the Tubelab SE with 300B.

Now that you've been using it for quite some time, how does it sound campared to other amps you've used?
Old 19th May 2012, 09:37 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Default it makes the sweetest 8 watts of anything in the house..

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
...... how does it sound compared to other amps you've used?
Thanks for the comments, it's my favorite.

Caveat: I have 95db sens full range speakers.......

Last edited by boywonder; 19th May 2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 19th May 2012, 10:55 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Caveat: I have 95db sens full range speakers.......
By full range you mean single driver? Which make?
Old 20th May 2012, 02:40 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Yes, single driver. Started out with Fostex F207e in Half Changs, now running TB W8-1772's in the Half Changs, both with a sub.
Old 20th May 2012, 12:10 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

I'm running single driver full-range units too. Have the subs, and run them in bi-amped config too when I fancy.
Old 4th June 2012, 11:54 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Tubelab has used this in his TSE with 45 tubes with good results:

Transformer - One Electron, Output, 4800 to 16/8/4 | Antique Electronic Supply LLC

IIRC Russ also has/had this in his TSE?

Anybody tried the UBT-2 in their Tubelab SSE?

I have decided to stick with a SE build first, and for the tubes plan to use EL34. The slightly lower primary impedance of 4.8k vs 5k recommended at Tubelab site for SSE builds - that should be ok?
Old 5th June 2012, 05:01 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have decided to stick with a SE build first, and for the tubes plan to use EL34. The slightly lower primary impedance of 4.8k vs 5k recommended at Tubelab site for SSE builds - that should be ok?
Typo identified - it should read I have decided to stick with a SSE build first!

Apologies for the confusion.

Did some reading on the net and looks like the EL34 tubes work well with OPTs within the range 4.8-6k primary impedance. I guess the One Electron should be fine.

Last edited by zman01; 5th June 2012 at 05:09 AM.
Old 5th June 2012, 02:42 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have decided to stick with a SSE build first, and for the tubes plan to use EL34. The slightly lower primary impedance of 4.8k vs 5k recommended at Tubelab site for SSE builds - that should be ok?
It will be fine. Looking at Tubelab's "tubes and transformer" page for the various tubes and output transformers; he lists the EL34 with 3K and 5K loads at varying B+ voltages. Anything in between these will also work fine, think of it a as a continuum. Note that the power out numbers are for triode wired tubes. Generally, as the load on the output tubes decreases, the power goes up and the distortion goes up.

Tubes & Transformers

Note the red font in the tables, these conditions are where the combination of idle current and B+ exceed the max dissipation rating for the tubes. Many tubes will happily operate over their power dissipation limit, but their lives will be shorter than operating at lower power.

Last edited by boywonder; 5th June 2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 5th June 2012, 03:59 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Boywonder,

Thanks for confirming and sharing the link - will go ahead! It'll take me quite some time to get all the parts, so probably build will happen mid July.

- Zia
Old 19th June 2012, 06:02 AM   #30
victorm is offline victorm  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hello everyone, my first post is unfortunately a little long. Apologies for that.
Just ordered a Tubelab SE board from George and going through the part list in preparation.

Hope someone can help me with a couple of things:

PQ5EV5 voltage regulator is listed on Digikey and mouser as OBSOLETE. They still have quite a few, but as soon as they sell them that'll be it. Is there a replacement recommendation?

High voltage MOSFET's:
Original schematic on the Tubelab web site specified 2SK2700 which is listed as OBSOLETE by Digikey and mouser, and neither of them have it any longer. (you can still get it on eBay but it will disappear soon I think...)

The part list specifies 2SK3563 (higher current - is that necessary?) - but again, it's listed as OBSOLETE, neither Digikey nor mouser have it any longer. Not even eBay.

Appreciate any suggestions,

Cheers,
-Victor

Hide this!Advertise here!