• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

CSS Chip blown up???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Since you have yours is not in a case, just for fun, Try clipping your test leads to tab on your tube socket that supples pin one, and pin 9. These are the two pins on either side of the gap. (where there is no hole in the socket) get a DC reading, then turn the pot for that tube as far as it will go in the other direction and get another reading. Mine reads about about 50 volts on one side of the pot and about 175 on the other, what do you get?

Shoot, looks like you logged off while I was testing mine. This will rule out a bad spot on the pot, or too high resistance shutting it off all together, that kind of thing... I might be completely off base...again, but it should only take a minute to try.

Ok, here it is:

Without tube (still heat from heatsinks):

Ground to:
R16 tube: 17V, R16 IC: 449V, both sides: 0V
R17 tube: 17V, R17 IC: 17V, both sides: 0V
R27 tube: 17V, R27 IC: 449V, both sides: 0V
R28 tube: 17V, R28 IC: 17V, both sides: 0V
R10 & 32 both sides: 0V

OK, that is very telling. There should be no current through R16/27 with no tube in there. You should measure close to B+ on both sides. The fact that you see 17V on the plate side tells me that you either have a short in your socket wiring, your coupling cap (C9/11) is shorted, R16/27 are blown, or there is some weird PCB problem. In fact, you measurements imply that R16/27 are dissipating 1.3W. Do they get toasty?

I would expect to see 0V across R10/32 at this point.

With tubes on (heat from heatsinks):

Ground to:
R16 tube: 6V, R16 IC: 13V, both sides: 6.5V
R17 tube: 6V, R17 IC: 6V, both sides: 0V
R27 tube: 3V, R27 IC: 10V, both sides: 5V
R28 tube: 3V, R28 IC: 3V, both sides: 0V
R10 & 32 both sides: 0V
Ground to tube: 6.6 & 4.25V

I tried for potential poor coupling cap (I rised one leg for both coupling cap) = no change in the data.::censored:

I checked again for potential shorts - nada.

I also grounded the board to the grid - nada.

However, both tube sockets are hooked up through 4 inches of wire (not directly welded to the board). Am I facing oscillations or some weird phenomena?:confused:

My next step is to change both ICs. I don`t have a good feeling for the end result but I need to give it a try...

Alain

It could be oscillations, but that doesn't explain your results with no tube installed. Why is the plate voltage 17V with no tube in there? It makes no sense.

Shoot, looks like you logged off while I was testing mine. This will rule out a bad spot on the pot, or too high resistance shutting it off all together, that kind of thing... I might be completely off base...again, but it should only take a minute to try.

Sorry Jpeg, I did not realize you were online trying stuff for me. No mean to waste your time. I have a small window of time every night to work on the board (between homework with kids, lunches, cleaning the house, walking the dog - you get the picture:eek:)

I going to try tonight what you proposed.

Thanks again.

Alain

Russ,

I was under the impression the smell was coming from the IC but you are probably right, the smell is from the resistors.

OK, tonight I will remove completly the sockets. The coupling cap are already removed. When I clean up my mind from those potential sources of problems, very little would be left and I hope to put my finger on it tonight.

More to follow

Alain

I changed resistors, re-connected sockets, powered up everything, and.............. Yessss!

I was able to adjust to 175V both channel!!!

Oups, my wife is telling me it is time to stop for tonight. Tomorrow, I will plug speakers and a source. I just cannot wait!

Many thanks to you guys, Russ and Jpeg for all that support. Without you I would still be crying in a fetal position on the floor!

Alain

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.