Board Availability - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 8th September 2011, 04:48 PM   #31
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
Wow George. I'd say "when it rains, it pours"...but it's already been pouring over you! Lemme know if I can help....
Old 8th September 2011, 04:52 PM   #32
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

George,

I hear you... I work for one of the major semiconductor manufacturers as a circuit designer. When the economy hit the fan, 26 % of employees company wide were voted off the island. That was after a couple of "smaller" layoffs. I managed to claw on... But those were rough times.

At least after 38 years, I hope they give you a half decent severance package.

~Tom
Old 8th September 2011, 06:10 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

The severance package was far better when the less useful people were laid off early on. Now, seniority doesn't buy you much.
Old 8th September 2011, 09:54 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Typical innit...
Old 9th September 2011, 02:48 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The severance package was far better when the less useful people were laid off early on. Now, seniority doesn't buy you much.
Russ and I once worked for the same company. Neither of us has left our jobs. Now we work for two different companies. Why? Carl Icahn, a fich guy who invests heavilly in a company, breaks them up and sells off the pieces to "unlock shareholder value". So what if thousands of workers lose their jobs.

The details in the severance package hasn't changed much over the years, with one minor exception. The package cap has been reduced several times. At one time there was no cap and a long term employee could receive 3 weeks pay for every year that they worked. There weren't too many really long term employees then. Three weeks per year became two weeks with a 104 week cap about 10 years ago. Several of my friends negotiated an exit with 2 YEARS pay in their pockets! I know 2 people thay actually did it TWICE by waiting 2 years and getting rehired in a different divison and then getting laid off again. Now the severance package cap is 26 weeks. So I would get half a years pay if I get whacked tomorrow. Still better than the door slamming on your butt.

What do I do?

Next Generation Public Safety - Motorola Solutions USA

Note the blue banner in the upper left. I don't work on cell phones, or in a cell phone company, but the box I am designing circuits for must roam on Verizon 4G LTE and 3G EVDO. Why am I there so late every night?

MissionCritical Communications, Radio Resource International, and Public Safety Report - wireless voice and data communications for mobile, remote and public safety operations

Yes the marketing team has sold them already, now we better hurry up and design it! Actually the low powered version is already on the market, but when the design team wanted someone to crank up the power about 20X who are you gonna call? LTE makes glowing tubes look easy.
Old 9th September 2011, 03:00 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
LTE makes glowing tubes look easy.
No kidding. I design circuits that go into the clock generator ICs and jitter cleaner ICs used in LTE, GSM base stations, etc. Few people realize the challenges of hitting the phase noise specs required by those systems.

We have customers lined up out the door but with fewer employees, it's more of a sweatshop than it used to be.

~Tom
Old 9th September 2011, 07:25 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

LTE...don't even get me started!
Old 9th September 2011, 12:58 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Most excellent! I just sent the Paypal payment.
It went through the USPS automated postal center this morning on my way to work. You should have it next week.

Quote:
Few people realize the challenges of hitting the phase noise specs required by those systems.
I know all about it. The phase noise requirements are actually much tougher for narrow band public safety receiver systems than for LTE. This is due to the 12.5 and 25 KHz channel spacing and the 80 db adjacent channel rejection specs. Hand held portable transceivers also have stringent current drain requirements. We design our own IC's for that market.

I don't know which company you are at, but there are 2 major players in the clock generator game with chips having suitable phase noise. I have evaluated chips from both. I currently have an eval board for the LMK04808B on my desk.
Old 10th September 2011, 06:30 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

The shirtless one has delivered. I just got my board in the mail. Just follow his instructions. Thanks George, the board is beautiful. Oh, and please thank your wife, Sherri for me.
David

Last edited by TerribleT; 10th September 2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 13th September 2011, 12:29 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
I currently have an eval board for the LMK04808B on my desk.
Thank you for your patronage...

I designed the crystal oscillator core and the holdover circuit for that one. As well as a bunch of other circuitry.

Yeah... 12.5 kHz channel spacing and stringent blocker specs will drive up the requirements for a quiet LO as well. Just say no to 1/f noise...

~Tom

Hide this!Advertise here!