high pass - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 16th August 2011, 07:14 PM   #1
evanc is offline evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
Default high pass

I've been listening to my tubelab SE for a while now and to say this thing sounds great is an understatement.

I have been using a ss amp to supplement the lowest frequencies, about 100 hz down. I tried a pllxo before the tubelab amp to filter out the lowest frequencies and did not like the results. Maybe the cheap caps I used were the culprit.

I am thinking of just changing the coupling caps in the amp for a 0.1 uf caps. Is this a valid idea? It would still allow the lowest frequencies to get to the input tube, but would leave out the extra caps that a pllxo would add.
Thanks as always..Evan
Old 16th August 2011, 11:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

What you want is line level crossover. There are powered ones and passive ones you can buy or build.
Linkwitz-Riley Electronic Crossover
TLS.org | Passive Line-Level Crossover
Old 17th August 2011, 12:25 AM   #3
evanc is offline evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
I ran my system active for some time and feel that I like the sound better when I use my active crossover for only the lowest frequencies, and let the signal go right to the main amp. I tried a first order passive line level crossover and did not love the sound. Again maybe this was due to me using a cheap film cap. Going the less is more route it seems if I could attenuate the lowest frequencies by adjusting the value of a part that is all ready in the signal path it would be better then adding another capacitor to the signal path....
Old 17th August 2011, 03:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I doubt modern caps are that bad at low price. I would be more concerned with achieving the proper crossover slope than the price of caps. If it takes second or third order to do it, then do it. It will hurt the sound more by not getting it right.

Hide this!Advertise here!