• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Building a Tubelab SE 45 in the UK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Plan to build the SE for 45 tubes (already have efficient speakers). Have built kit SET before, but not very experienced.

Beginning by getting those parts that are difficult to source from the UK ... so ...

Got the ICXP 10M45S

Mosfets 2SK3563 on the way (although no longer made and out of stock nearly everywhere the HongKong guys have big stocks and happy to supply small quantities.

Awaiting response from Electraprint re OPTs.

Anything else tricky before I bulk order the rest of the components and the board.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Just make sure that the mosfets you have ordered are genuine. (I have not found HK to be a consistently reliable source for tubes or semiconductors.) George or someone else may have recommendations for alternate parts.

You might also consider sourcing transformers somewhere in the EU; Bartolucci, AE (Holland), and Sowter come to mind immediately. There are quite a few others I suspect that fellow Europeans could turn you on to - shipping iron from the USA will be expensive, probably sufficiently so to put some of the better European makes in the running.

Hi Kevin,

Guess there is a risk of non-genuine parts - not sure best way to confirm they are genuine.

Got my quote - shipping 2 Electra-Prints to UK is 45usd - can probably cope with that.

Plan on buying power transformer and choke here in Scotland (Bluebell Audio). Then bulk of components from Digikey (is that what UK builders use)?

I did read some comments that the 5842 tubes were now difficult to get hold of, but currently they are certainly available. Is that likely to be a problem in future?

Alan

The 5842 is slowly fading away and the prices are shooting up. Just in the past couple of years since I build my TSE, the going eBay price is several times what I paid. I was able to get them for about $5 each in sleeves of 5 back then. There is no current production and they were never used in any guitar amp that I am aware of. If you have a line on some at a good price, I would stock up on a few sets at least. That way you can match them somewhat into pairs as well

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.