• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

OPTs: Baby Edcors (XSE) VS. Big Edcors (CXSE)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know this has been done before. There is another thread current here at the moment that is drifting onto this topic, so I thought perhaps it justified starting a new one.

About $40 for a pair of XSEs or $190 for a pair of the huge CXSEs at the moment. I'd have to import them into the UK which would end up costing over $300 for the Big Ones.

I have the the XSEs in my SSE at the moment, and the amp sounds great. I run it in triode mode, and I have B&W 685s standmount speakers with 88dB sensitivity and 6.5" inch mid/woofers. I prefer the KT88s at the moment.

I'm looking for a 'lifetime' setup, that I don't have to tinker with again (well, this year anyway!). I'm happy to fork out for the big Edcors but it's the usual situation of not having any clue whether it would make much difference to the sound.

Could I expect the quality of the bass to improve, given that the speakers aren't massive? Will the better bass response of the big Edcors be at the expense of higher frequencies, those perhaps more suited to the speaker size that I have?

Thanks very much!

Go Big

The CXSE's are a good value. If you listen every day I say go for it. I have had both sets of OP's and there is a nice bit of the audio spectrum you are missing with the XSE's. I use a Juke box analogy. 50 cents a listening session for 2 years and they are paid for. They should last 40+ years.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.