• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Too HIgh B+ on Simple SE V21

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just completed re-build of my Simple. I filled the volume control and previous switch holes, re-painted and hard-wired all the off board connections; choke, rectifier, etc. Didn't touch the board itself

With EL-34s and 560 Ohm cathode resistor I seem to recall I had about 490 volts B+ and 455 at the Plate (Pin 3?) with 5AR4. That's what I have for tube V11 now but V22 (the more interior one?) has 495 at the Plate. Also, the cathode resistor at the edge (R17?) got quite hot after just a few minutes test.

The way the board takes the leads from the rectifier precludes an error if even one tube is right, yes? That seems to leave a bad part, maybe C12 or 22?

Appreciate some help, please.

Since R17 got hot so quickly and V22 was abright red, I never took the amp off the bench. For all I know it quietly operated that way for a year, but I doubt it.

The 450 volt tube has a hot resistor and the 495 doesn't, it's cold. Both measue at 560Ohms on the board. Would it be helpful to take measurements all along the schematic with just the rectifier aboard?

Would it be helpful to take measurements all along the schematic with just the rectifier aboard?

Sounds like a plan.

Did you try Ty_Bower's checkout here (post 5 for a Photobucket link)? I found it invaluable.

Maybe you did that already, when you first built it a year ago, but treating it as a 'new' amp now, I'd have thought it was worth running through again.

Sorry I can't suggest any more!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.