New Tubelab SE building in process. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 18th May 2011, 01:54 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default New Tubelab SE building in process.

Hello I am gathering the last few parts to start the building for my tubelab SE.
And my Question is : In the manual is said that the optional choke for the Tubelab SE is a recommended upgrade. There is also written that it need to be a 150mA choke. Can I use the Edcor CXC-10H-200mA or is this choke to large to use. My tubelab will run 300B tubes so I also need to order a custom Edcor power Transformer with line 230V to 640V at 150mA 6,3V at 4A en 5V at 2A. Is it a problem if the trafo is 640V and 200mA or not. Also I would like to ask if the Edcor Opt's are worth the money.
Sorry for my Question but this will be my first DHT amp that I build and I still need a lot to learn.

Kind Regards,

Steven
Old 18th May 2011, 02:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven123 View Post
I also need to order a custom Edcor power Transformer with line 230V to 640V at 150mA 6,3V at 4A en 5V at 2A.
There are a few forum members who already ordered power transformer for TSE 300B from Edcor. You may want to do a forum search and go with that. It will save you the design cost from Edcor for new custom order.
Quote:
Is it a problem if the trafo is 640V and 200mA or not.
Having more amperage than required is not a problem. It becomes a problem when having less than required.
Old 19th May 2011, 03:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
H Can I use the Edcor CXC-10H-200mA or is this choke to large to use. My tubelab will run 300B tubes so I also need to order a custom Edcor power Transformer with line 230V to 640V at 150mA 6,3V at 4A en 5V at 2A.
Steven: Your choke will work fine. Also check out the Edcor XPR131-240, that was a custom that rknize had made for the Tubelab SE. I'm using the 120V version for my Tubelab SE with 300B's.
Old 20th May 2011, 10:46 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I live in Belgium where the current is 230v (231,5 when measured with a meter).When I look at the tranformer for Rknize the XPR131-240 it has 240v on it's primary will a 240v transformer work in my area without power loss. or do I have to order a higher output voltage such as 650 to 660V or is this not necessary.

Kind Regards

Steven
Old 20th May 2011, 05:52 PM   #5
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
It should be just fine.
Old 29th May 2011, 12:04 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ok Thank you for the information, I also have a small question about the bleeders on the board. These are all connected to the ground on the amp. But I live in a very old appartment at the moment and the whole place doesn't have grounds on the sockets. Now my question is will the tubelab SE bleeders work or not. And what can I do to make sure everything is Safe.

With Kind Regards

Steven
Old 29th May 2011, 07:21 PM   #7
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
Yes, they will work. Ground is all relative, so the caps will bleed down relative to the ground on the board. The safety ground ensures that the chassis remains at a safe voltage. This protects against some sort of insulation failure, such as the OPTs or power transformer. In this case, the safety ground provides a separate path so that any such short would blow the fuse.
Old 29th May 2011, 07:32 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks Russ for the answer as for the safety ground can i reduce the possibility for the OPTs and power transformer to bleed any voltage to the chassis by putting rubber insulators under the OPTs and power transformer.

Kind Regards

Steven
Old 16th June 2011, 03:15 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
By steventje123 at 2011-06-16

A Few Pictures From My Tubelab SE in progress I was planning to run 300B tubes on it but things are changed since I own a few pair of 45 Tubes.
So this will be a complete amp running only 45 Tubes.

Last edited by Steven123; 16th June 2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 16th June 2011, 03:35 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ok Thank you for the information, I also have a small question about the bleeders on the board. These are all connected to the ground on the amp. But I live in a very old appartment at the moment and the whole place doesn't have grounds on the sockets. Now my question is will the tubelab SE bleeders work or not. And what can I do to make sure everything is Safe.

With Kind Regards

Steven
If you have a metal chassis and you are powering your amp from an un-grounded AC socket, there is a chance you may kill yourself. The chassis could become "hot". With no path to AC ground, coming in contact with the chassis could be fatal. You need to find a way to ground the amp.

Hide this!Advertise here!