• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Suitable output transformer for SSE?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would go with a transformer that others have used and recommend. Perhaps someone has used those ebay transformers and can report on them, but if not, here are some of the transformers I have heard good reports on.

I know some people really like the Transcendar or the Edcor transformers.

Pair 5k UL Transcendar Output Transformers for SE amp | eBay

EDCOR Electronics Corporation. Single Ended Tube Output Transformers

I purchased the Edcor GXSE15-8-5K but have not yet finished my amp so I can't tell you how they will sound. I'm hoping they are good enough.

Of course if you are willing to spend more, there are other options like James or Lundahl.

The thing to remember is that the primary impedance should be 5K and the output impedance should match you speakers (8 ohms nominal). So, theoretically, any speaker that meets those specs should work.

Good luck,
Ben

I have pair of Edcor GXSE10-8-8k for another project and a pair of 5K Transcendars for SSE. I listened to both for hours in SSE. GXSE's are obviously not as good performing as the Transcendar's but for $52 a pair GXSE10 series is quite a deal. While Transcendar's are nowhere near that price tag..they are going for more than three times as much than GXSE10's (upto $178 a pair).

I have also read some people recommending Electraprint OT's. They are more expensive than the Transcendar's. However, if I wanted to invest around $300/pair, I would look at something like James as Ben has pointed out.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.