• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Basic SSE input RCA jack wiring question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello again,

Before I go and solder the inputs, I have a niggling question about the RCA wiring, and would be grateful for any help!

I have a metal top plate that is earthed. The RCAs have two terminals, obviously electrically separate. One of the terminals of both RCAs is basically a solder tag that, when fixed in place, will be in direct contact with the top plate and hence will be earthed. Will this work, or do I need to insulate the RCAs from the top plate to prevent them having the same signal ground (i.e. earth in this case)?

Hope that makes sense! And thanks for any help.

Thanks Russ. I am referring to George's wiring diagrams constantly as I know no better. I think the fact that there was a separate earth wire from one of the input jacks to the star earth puzzled me a bit as surely there's no need for this wire when the whole top plate is earthed anyway.

What I've got now is both RCAs grounded to the chassis, which itself is earthed to the third pin in the wall plug.

It's getting very close to checkout time, and then throwing the switch if all is well. My neighbours can smell the fear.

I measured 802 V unloaded across the two red wires on the PT yesterday (Hammond 374BX). That seems really high, but maybe the 0 V tap (red/yellow) sorts things out.

Do you have a link to 'George's wiring diagrams'. :) I've got a ground loop hum and want to make sure I've got my RCAs wired correctly. In my case the connectors are isolated with the ground lugs wired to the star point. What type of wire should I be using? Shielded, single core?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.