• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Question on Tube Sockets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

I'm starting a build on a new Simple SE, and I would like to know if there are any sonic disadvantages to mounting the sockets differently. In the manual, the sockets used were PCB mounted ones. If I went with chassis mounted sockets say both octal sockets (power tubes) wired same distance away from the pcb, would this incur any degradation? I understand that alot of the diy'ers do point to point, but with the design of the pcb and it's very short distances, would I be looking at a major degradation or very very minute only.

Thanks for your help.

Ed

I got away with this to adapt 8-pin tubes to 9-pin sockets. The worry is the grid stopper resistors now are not close to the tube's grid pin. For these 6V6 tubes it worked out OK, but for other tubes it might not. You could attach the grid stopper resistor on the tube's grid pin and the other end to the PCB if there was any doubt, i.e. use the grid stopper resistor as an attaching wire. That's all I would be worried about, plus what Russell said, plus you might want grid stoppers on the screen grids.

I got away with this to adapt 8-pin tubes to 9-pin sockets. The worry is the grid stopper resistors now are not close to the tube's grid pin. For these 6V6 tubes it worked out OK, but for other tubes it might not. You could attach the grid stopper resistor on the tube's grid pin and the other end to the PCB if there was any doubt, i.e. use the grid stopper resistor as an attaching wire. That's all I would be worried about, plus what Russell said, plus you might want grid stoppers on the screen grids.

Thanks guys.

Ian, where'd you get the bullet plugs to jumper the tube socket to the circuit below?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.