Question on Tube Sockets - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 25th April 2011, 07:02 PM   #1
jacko is offline jacko  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Question on Tube Sockets

Hi there,

I'm starting a build on a new Simple SE, and I would like to know if there are any sonic disadvantages to mounting the sockets differently. In the manual, the sockets used were PCB mounted ones. If I went with chassis mounted sockets say both octal sockets (power tubes) wired same distance away from the pcb, would this incur any degradation? I understand that alot of the diy'ers do point to point, but with the design of the pcb and it's very short distances, would I be looking at a major degradation or very very minute only.

Thanks for your help.

Ed
Old 25th April 2011, 07:49 PM   #2
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
I don't think you would see any degradation with this design, assuming the lines are reasonably short and not crossing other noisy wires, like pairs carrying AC.
Old 27th April 2011, 09:57 AM   #3
Ian444 is offline Ian444  Australia
diyAudio Member

I got away with this to adapt 8-pin tubes to 9-pin sockets. The worry is the grid stopper resistors now are not close to the tube's grid pin. For these 6V6 tubes it worked out OK, but for other tubes it might not. You could attach the grid stopper resistor on the tube's grid pin and the other end to the PCB if there was any doubt, i.e. use the grid stopper resistor as an attaching wire. That's all I would be worried about, plus what Russell said, plus you might want grid stoppers on the screen grids.
Old 27th April 2011, 06:36 PM   #4
jacko is offline jacko  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian444 View Post
I got away with this to adapt 8-pin tubes to 9-pin sockets. The worry is the grid stopper resistors now are not close to the tube's grid pin. For these 6V6 tubes it worked out OK, but for other tubes it might not. You could attach the grid stopper resistor on the tube's grid pin and the other end to the PCB if there was any doubt, i.e. use the grid stopper resistor as an attaching wire. That's all I would be worried about, plus what Russell said, plus you might want grid stoppers on the screen grids.
Thanks guys.

Ian, where'd you get the bullet plugs to jumper the tube socket to the circuit below?

Hide this!Advertise here!