• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Running a TSE with 5u4g?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

Assuming I have a transformer that can handle the extra draw from the 5U4G, what other mods should be done to the TSE circuitry to best make use of a 5U4G rectifier instead of the 5AR4? This will be done in a 300B TSE. How bad is it for my output tubes if I don't have the slow warm up of the 5AR4?

Thanks,

M

a bit late to the party, but

doncha wanna be a bit more careful with input cap filter on the 5U4 / 5Y3, or even more critically with 5R4?

I'm running one of those fun potato masher Cetron 5R4WGB in a fugly but great sounding rebuild of old Scott integrated - 4mF input cap followed by dual mono choke filtered stage

yhst-8476489043850_2154_54929136

looks more than a little bit out of scale to the noval driver and output stages

5R4 = 4mF
5U4/5Y3= 32mF
5AR4 = 60mF

doncha wanna be a bit more careful with input cap filter on the 5U4 / 5Y3, or even more critically with 5R4?

Some 5U4's can be picky about the input cap. 47uF is technially too much and may cause sparking inside the 5U4 on power up. Put an inrush current limiter in series with the line voltage input to ease the power up surge.

47uF WILL spark the potato masher. I have seen the fireworks!

Some 5U4's can be picky about the input cap. 47uF is technially too much and may cause sparking inside the 5U4 on power up. Put an inrush current limiter in series with the line voltage input to ease the power up surge.

47uF WILL spark the potato masher. I have seen the fireworks!

Thanks George. I saw your recommendation for the current limiter in the Simple SE and was going to put it into this build anyway.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.