• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Tubelab Single Ended

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've seen many 45, 2a3, 6BQ5 single ended tube amps outhere with only a few resistors and caps. How come the tubelab SE and simple SE have so many parts in them as I've always heard when it comes to single ended, simple is best. I am thinking about buying one of their kit but so many parts used gave me a reservation.

Simple circuits work well when the demands on it are low.

SE with small power requirements usually get by with the simplest of topologies.

However as power output demands on it increase, especially with larger tubes ( with larger capacitances), the driver stages become "saturated" or there is "blocking distortion". Tubelabs design ensures that all these problems are looked into to maintain power output and minimise distortion. So as a result, the circuit becomes slightly more complicated.

Not sure if i am convinced with the responses yet :D

I did some google and found this: The road to nirvana

Looking at that schematics, there really only a few parts in the amp and i bet it sounds great. Too bad, i just don't have the skill to build it from scratch. :eek:

Attachments

• 45schematics.JPG
    45schematics.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 387
Keep in mind, the tubelab SimpleSE schematic shows BOTH channels for stereo.
In addition (as Bas already stated), the PSU is shown - all in one schematic.
So, looking at one channel only, I don't see the complexity?!?
There are a few options (switchable if you like) shown, too. If you would look only at one possible configuration, the the urban legend rule would be satisfied - it's really a "Simple"SE in terms of layout (not talking about the work that went into it to optimize it, I guess).

Martin

I'll have to agree with Bas and Pedroskova on this one. Besides, it's all in how you view the word "simple". I've built lots of stuff from scratch, and I can tell you that it's no small task to build an amp of even "road to nirvana" simplicity. Parts count is only a tiny part of the equation; sourcing those parts, ordering, designing the enclosure, mechanical issues and post-build testing all conspire to increase the complexity of any project. I'm not going to even think of delving into the issue of circuit design.

What Tubelab has done is take care of most of these issues, while giving folks a chance to experiment and customize. His are proven designs that are extremely well-documented and thoughtfully executed. I haven't yet bought one of his boards, but you can bet your buns I'm gonna buy one - or one of each, if possible - as soon as I'm a bit more certain of my employment status.

Well, I don't it's the responsibility of the forum to convince you of anything, only to share knowledge / experiences :p

You should be able to find dozens of 45 SE schematics on the net without issue. I would recommend some basic reading here:

www.wavelengthaudio.com/bugle.pdf

This will give you yet another simple 45 schematic and the design methodology used including sidebars on how values are calculated. It really is a good read, even though I'm not a fan of SRPP.

Finally, while the schematic you posted is fine, the cost of the OPTs alone will be probably be more than everything needed to build the TubeLab circuit, which is a solid design.

As you're admittedly a newbie, don't expect to reach nirvana as a first project. Do think of it as a journey and have some fun along the way... and you'll learn lots. Best of luck on your first project.

Regards, KM

Too bad, i just don't have the skill to build it from scratch.
I did not have the skills either in the beginning. In fact I still have trouble getting things not to hum.

Where there is a will there is a way. That said a lot of thought has been put into kits usually.

I have had zero technical training in my life. It's purely interest and some kind of aptitude ofcourse. Go for it.

I have built the Simple SE, a pretty simple 300bSE, and a reasonably simple el84PP power amp(s)...

The simpleSE was the only one from a PCB. The others were done p2p or on perf boards for certain sections...except for the el84PP amp...the PSU is a unit available from tubecad.com (john broskie - aikido et.al.)

Each one is good in its own right but you have to ask yoruself what do you really want in your power amp?

The SimpleSE is a really good amp. Really the only complication george adds is the CCS on the plates of the driver tube and the option for SS rectifiers. And they are both worth the effort.

For OPT's I HIGHLY recommend Edcor CXSE's...5K impedence

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.