• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Simple SE troubleshoot

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I've finally finished my amp but need some pointers on getting it to work. I'm new to the amplification side of diy and only really have speaker experience.

Anyway... I switch on the amp and tada, both output tubes light up and the little 9pin tube does but the rectifier doesn't. No smoke, no heat, no sound.

Where should I start?

Thanks

Chris

Chris, Start with checking to make absolutely sure that your octal sockets are soldered in the correct orientation (key is on the silkscreen side). Ask me how I know... Then with no tubes in check the heater voltages (pins 2 - 8 on the rectifier, 4-5 on the 12at7, 2 - 7 on the outputs). Remember to have your meter on AC for these. Also, what rectifier are you using?

For checking heaters? No. One lead on each pin. Voltages are less than 10V so holding leads is ok. But make sure that you are getting the correct pins, since two other pins on the same socket will have 350+vac across them, and you *don't* want to be holding leads in each hand across these.

Ok, I've just checked the rectifier voltage on pins 2-8 and it doesn't read any voltage at all.

What power transformer did you use? Are you sure you know which leads are the 5V winding for the rectifier's heater? Did you securely land them on T1-YEL? A photo of your wiring might show us something you missed.

Mine looks a little like this:
th_P1100370.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i43/Ty_Bower/Simple SE/P1100370.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.