• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

help with tubelab SE checkout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I'm hoping some more experienced builders can help me out. I am at the point where I am checking the filament voltages on my SE. For the 5842 if I check from pin 3 to ground I get 4.8v. from pin 3 to pin 9 I get 9.4v. This is without tubes. I am also confused by the fact that if pad 3 on the board is not hooked up it seems that the 5842 heater is not grounded. Sorry if these questions seem novice, But that is what I am.
Thanks for the time...Evan

The heater power circuit is a little funny. It is actually a bridge rectifier, but it is split and connected differently depending what tubes you are configuring the PCB for. If the output tubes have 2.5V heaters, then D1a/b serves as a full-wave rectifier for that while D1 along with D4/5 serve as a bridge rectifier for the 5842s. If the output tubes have 5V heaters, then both supplies use D1 and D4/5 in the bridge configuration.

Based on your measurements, I am guessing that you have the PCB setup for 2.5V heaters. This has the effect of pushing the bottom half of the 5842 heater supply down by half, so you end up with a +/- split DC supply. The voltage measures high because you have no tubes in there. Under load, the transformer will sag a bit and you'll also drop a few volts across R3.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.