• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Recommended thickness of wire for PCB connections on SSE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Most of the wires will come from the transformers/chokes themselves (unless you got some that have no leads). Not much extra wire is needed for the basic hookups. If you start adding switches for UL, CFB, etc, then some wire is needed.

The most important thing is the insulation rating. Most cheap hookup wire is rated to 300VDC. The next step up is 600V. Look for this. The wire itself doesn't carry much current in most cases. I use 20 gauge for most things. I prefer solid because it stays where you put it, but for some things stranded is preferred.

Yesterday I bought some DH labs silver sonic wires to wire my amp. 2 feet 14 AWG for power/iec/fuse path and 2 feet of 20 AWG BL 1 shielded to connect PCB to RCA jacks. As well as some non-shielded 20AWG to ground power switch, speaker posts, RCA jack, transformers and chokes. I hope that will be enough. I'm not sure what is their VDC rating though.

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply.

I ordered some ~24 AWG wire which claimed it was rated to 1000V RMS, 1.4A @ 70C. I figured it would be more than man-enough due to the low currents in these amps. It turned up and it's pretty flimsy (1mm diameter including insulation)!

I'll get some more. In any case, the 1.4A limit is less than the fuse I plan to put in - which is a bit silly really!

How about something like this? This cable is said to be made to aerospace/military specifications and rated at 600V. However, ampere rating is not listed.

18 Ga. Silver Plated Teflon Wire

I guess the last resort would be to just but some bulk power cord cable and use strands for wiring power switch/fuse holder/IEC jack and to ground everything since they(power cords) are rated at 10A. Also, some bulk interconnect cable to wire RCA posts to PCB. At least this is what I'm going to do.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.