I am having an odd bass issue with my Simple SE - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 11th March 2011, 02:42 AM   #1
bigdh31 is offline bigdh31  United States
diyAudio Member

Default I am having an odd bass issue with my Simple SE

I have been using my Simple SE for over a year with no problems and I really enjoy it.

Recently I replaced my Berseford 7520 digital pre-amp with a Grant Fidelity DAC-09. The DAC-09 seems to produces much more low bass energy than the Beresford.

The bass sounds great for couple of hours and then it starts changing and becomes some what fuzzy sounding. The upper frequencies do not seem to be affected. I was using a Mullard CV4024 as the input tube and changed it to JJ ECC81. It does not happen as much with the JJ tube but I can still hear it some. It does not seem to be related to the volume setting.

I have tried different tubes in the DAC-09 also. I connected a class D amp to the DAC-09 and listened for several hours and the problem did not happen.

What should I check? Could it be an issue with the constant current chips? I wired the RCA jacks directly to the board since I planned to use a preamp. Should I add some resistance in series with the RCA's? Could it be the coupling cap?
Old 11th March 2011, 02:50 AM   #2
GoranB is offline GoranB  Poland
diyAudio Member

Do You have a decoupling cap on the catode biasing ressistor of your input tube?
Old 11th March 2011, 12:51 PM   #3
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
Do you have any pics of your build? Does the PCB have adequate ventilation? Since it takes a few hours for the issue to occur, it sounds like some kind of thermal issue. If you can run it with the PCB exposed, you can rule that out.
Old 4th April 2011, 08:50 PM   #4
bigdh31 is offline bigdh31  United States
diyAudio Member

I had the parts on hand to add a shunt mode volume pot to my simple se. I have ran it now for over four hours and I have not been able to recreate the problem. I am not for sure why but this seems to have solved the problem.

Hide this!Advertise here!