• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

SimpleSE Checkout/CL-90 Fail

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, just went through Ty's(?) photo Checkout and everything was fine until I actually powered the amp to check voltages (No tubes, no speaker load). Then CL-90 inrush limiter smoked and broke in half! :confused:

I am using Antec 350-0-350, SS rectification. What should I check?

Sounds like a short somewhere.....

I'd suggest (as I always do, sorry...) taking an hour or so and putting together a light bulb current limiter to help prevent smoking your power transformer. Luckily, the inrush limiter blew this time, but it can get tedious replacing limiters.
What size fuse did you have installed?

I don't have much experience with CL90 and similar, but I think they are supposed to be quite reliable??

BTW, you should have speakers or load resistors on the outputs - you don't want to forget them once you put the power tubes in.

Last edited:
Sounds like a short somewhere.....

I'd suggest (as I always do, sorry...) taking an hour or so and putting together alight bulb current limiter to help prevent smoking your power transformer. Luckily, the inrush limiter blew this time, but it can get tedious replacing limiters.
What size fuse did you have installed?

I don't have much experience with CL90 and similar, but I think they are supposed to be quite reliable??

Yes, checked the board again and saw that i had not jumpered sw1 for ss rectification. I used a 1.5A fuse... so off to get more fuses, this time 2A (since thats what everyone seems to be using).

You are using an Antek traffo? They are rated for 115v on the primaries. If you're in an area with highish mains, like I am, you are probably actually getting 380-390 on the secondaries.

...not that I've ever made this mistake with Antek iron.

Actually 138v on Mains. 420v on secondaries. WTF! : (

And 36v on main filaments :confused:

Also do I jumper or do anything with the 5v tube rectifier connections. Since I am using SS I have them untouched...

Last edited:
Ok, I've plugged the amp into a voltage regulator, B+ is now 510. 32v at T1 GRN. And the tubes are not lighting up.:(

Attachments

• IMG_3126.jpg
    IMG_3126.jpg
    517.9 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Is that an Antek toroid? Can you post the specs on it? It looks to me that you have wired the filament windings in series. This is not what you want. It sounds like your meter is a bit out of whack. 36V on the filaments is not good at all! It's best to check these before putting the tubes in.

Hi Russ youre right about the dmm, i put in a fresh battery. now reads 497v B+, 119v at primaries after adjusting voltage regulator back to previous setting.

antek specs attached

Attachments

• AN-2T350.pdf
    38.5 KB · Views: 63
OK, you want those 6.3 V windings in parallel. The datasheet shows different colors than the picture on the sheet (and your picture), but they tend to be a bit inconsistent. It *should* be blue-to-blue and green-to-green, but it is easy to figure it out. Just connect two of the same-color wires together and put your meter across the other two. If you measure double the voltage (~12.6), you are putting them in series and not in parallel. If you measure almost nothing, then you already have them in parallel and you can connect the two loose wires together.

OK, you want those 6.3 V windings in parallel. The datasheet shows different colors than the picture on the sheet (and your picture), but they tend to be a bit inconsistent. It *should* be blue-to-blue and green-to-green, but it is easy to figure it out. Just connect two of the same-color wires together and put your meter across the other two. If you measure double the voltage (~12.6), you are putting them in series and not in parallel. If you measure almost nothing, then you already have them in parallel and you can connect the two loose wires together.

That did it! thanks so much Russ. Only tested one channel, but there was music! B+ at 445v with 6l6s...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.