• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Simple SE, Antek Transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What are your goals (which tubes and what options)?

The 6.3V 4A limitation technically limits you to EL34 and 6L6 types. That said, these transformers have more capacity than their high-level specs suggest. If you wanted to run KT88s, it could probably handle the extra load.

You will have to use the solid state rectifier option or get an external 5V transformer. Or, in true DIY fashion, you can wind your own 5V winding around the toroid. It's actually quite easy because you don't need that many windings and you literally can just wrap some wire of sufficient size around the outside of the toroid. Just make one or two windings, measure the voltage you get, and do the math. You want to go 5% or so over 5V since it will sag. However, this may push the transformer a bit too hard in terms of total VA. This is a function of the primary winding capacity and the size of the core. If you overload it too much, it may overheat. You'd have to do the math and check. If you tell us your goals, we can help you with this.

I would suggest the AN-4T360 instead. It costs a bit more, but has more 6.3V capacity and plenty of surplus VA to handle an extra winding, if you choose that route.

What are your goals (which tubes and what options)?

The 6.3V 4A limitation technically limits you to EL34 and 6L6 types. That said, these transformers have more capacity than their high-level specs suggest. If you wanted to run KT88s, it could probably handle the extra load.

You will have to use the solid state rectifier option or get an external 5V transformer. Or, in true DIY fashion, you can wind your own 5V winding around the toroid. It's actually quite easy because you don't need that many windings and you literally can just wrap some wire of sufficient size around the outside of the toroid. Just make one or two windings, measure the voltage you get, and do the math. You want to go 5% or so over 5V since it will sag. However, this may push the transformer a bit too hard in terms of total VA. This is a function of the primary winding capacity and the size of the core. If you overload it too much, it may overheat. You'd have to do the math and check. If you tell us your goals, we can help you with this.

I would suggest the AN-4T360 instead. It costs a bit more, but has more 6.3V capacity and plenty of surplus VA to handle an extra winding, if you choose that route.

Hi Russ, my goals are modest. This will be my first tube amp build and will be powering full range from 200hz up. I was planning to use EL34. I have some 6L6s, so I could use those too. My intention was to use solid state rectifier anyway, so the Antek seems to fit the bill!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.