Simple SE: Help sourcing power cap C1, 47uF 500V - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 30th January 2011, 05:45 PM   #11
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

They are all near enough the same, within a band of +-17%
Many caps are available with tolerance of -20%+50%.

If you can afford the space and the price, buy a metallised film, not an electrolytic.
Old 30th January 2011, 10:53 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

So I could use any rating from 33 to 40uf for motor run caps?
And, what should be tolerance rating for motor run caps in C2? Can it be more than 20% or less than 20%?
Old 30th January 2011, 11:43 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If you can afford the space and the price, buy a metallised film, not an electrolytic.
Motor RUN caps are usually metalized polypropylene. They must pass continuous AC current as long as the motor is running. Wimpy caps explode, so they are usually rather high quality low ESR caps.

Motor START caps are usually non polarized electrolytics since they are only used to start the motor and are then disconnected. Avoid these for any audio application. In fact just avoid them for any application!

Quote:
So I could use any rating from 33 to 40uf for motor run caps?
And, what should be tolerance rating for motor run caps in C2? Can it be more than 20% or less than 20%?

C2 is the primary ripple filter in the Simple SE. It can be an electrolytic on the PC borad, an external motor run cap, or both. Using an electrolytic and a motor run cap in parallel will offer improved performance over either one alone. THe total capacitance here should be at least 100 uF. If you have an electrolytic in the board, use whatever you can find cheap on Ebay. 40 uF seems to be common. I have used them. I have also used 100 uF and a 600 uF. If there is no electrolytic in the board and the motor run cap is the only cap use at least 100 uF. The tolerance isn't important as long as you have enough total capacitance.

C1 is the input cap in the Simple SE. It can be an electrolytic on the PC borad, an external motor run cap, or both. There doesn't seem to be much performance advantage from using two types of caps here. The total capacitance value has an effect on the B+ voltage. Values from 25 to 47 uF will give similar voltages. The smaller values are easier on the rectifier tube. Don't go over 47 uF total. Your rectifier might not survive the start up surge.
Old 31st January 2011, 12:23 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post

C2 is the primary ripple filter in the Simple SE. It can be an electrolytic on the PC borad, an external motor run cap, or both. Using an electrolytic and a motor run cap in parallel will offer improved performance over either one alone. THe total capacitance here should be at least 100 uF. If you have an electrolytic in the board, use whatever you can find cheap on Ebay. 40 uF seems to be common. I have used them. I have also used 100 uF and a 600 uF. If there is no electrolytic in the board and the motor run cap is the only cap use at least 100 uF. The tolerance isn't important as long as you have enough total capacitance.
If I have to use a lone 100uf motor-run cap at C2, where it should be connected? Should I wire/solder it on PCB C2 location? Or should I wire it like supplemental cap as shown in a wiring diagram and leave the PCB C2 location empty.

Can this be used as C2? Its 33uf/500v and all other specs seem to be in order. If not then I must find a 100uf motor run I guess.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...XSJkUEu8NK4%3d

Last edited by imnewbie; 31st January 2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 31st January 2011, 12:48 AM   #15
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
For C2...as big as you can get/fit. Standard part is 120uF. I run a 220uF plus a 80uF motor run. You can parallel two or more to get close. 80-100uF motor runs are easy to come by on eBay.
Old 31st January 2011, 01:23 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I said C2 by mistake..I meant to say C1.

Will this 33uF/500v cap work for C1, since 47uF/500v are out of stock. George mentions using 33/39uF if 47uF can't be found.

380LX330M500H012 Cornell Dubilier Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Snap In
Old 31st January 2011, 02:23 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

That will work just fine. The lead spacing is 10mm same as what is on the board.
Old 31st January 2011, 02:25 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

That will drop right in, yes.
Old 5th February 2011, 05:04 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

I was just looking through Mouser and they have several 500V CDE caps in stock. They don't have the 47uF, but they do have the 33uF that imnewbie mentioned. They also have the 120uF for the C2 position. I also see a 150uF that's the same height as the 33uF, if that is important. The board will fit up to a 35mm diameter cap. I run a 220uF 35x35mm on mine. There are other options as well and Digikey also appears to stock them. No Panasonic or Nichicon 500V to be found anywhere still.

33uF/500V - 22mm D x 25.4mm L
120uF/500V - 30mm D x 30mm L
150uF/500V - 35mm D x 25.4mm L
Old 5th February 2011, 07:13 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Are there any advantages of using only a motor run capacitor instead of an electrolytic cap at C1? I'm thinking about using one 40uF or 45uF motor run capacitor at C1(wiring it onto PCB C1 location) instead of using the 33uF electrolytic capacitor. 40uF or 45uF motor run are available for $12 shipped on ebay (brands are CSC and Packard).

Hide this!Advertise here!