• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Simple SE choke

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recall a post by George stating a choke rated for 5-10 Henry, 150mA and 100 Ohms would work. This is a Transcendar unit I found:

Inductors - Transcendar Audio Transformers
Part Number: TT-010-CH
10 Henry, 200 mA, DC Resistance: 100 ohms

However do not see any VDC rating - is this value important?

Thanks,
Zia

If you have 150 mA and 100R, you get 15V across the choke from Ohm's law, so I don't think it's going to matter much....

For power supply filtering chokes, the voltage rating is important. You aren't concerned so much about the voltage dropped across the choke itself, but rather the potential between the winding and the chassis.

Your amplifier's chassis MUST be at zero potential (ground), otherwise you're gonna get zapped every time you touch it. The choke's winding may see peaks of 530 volts, assuming you are using a popular 750VCT power transformer on your amp. It is critical that the insulation rating of the magnet wire used for the winding can withstand this potential! I believe it is common practice to hi-pot test the chokes at values of 1500VDC (typical 3x safety factor), though I have seen many chokes that only claim a 500V rating.

I would expect that if Gery is selling these as filter chokes, he is using the same quality magnet wire as what goes into his power and output transformers. Perhaps it would be prudent to contact him directly via email and inquire.

Working voltage vs VDC

Using Google I came across a couple of links where it says that insulation test voltage is 2 x working voltage + 1000 volts - one of these from diyAudio:

Post #7 on this diyAudio thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/200699-813-amp-old-choke.html

I am not sure if this is case for all chokes. A couple of other documents indiciated that VDC should be 1.4 times VRMS. Again, the Edcor choke on my shortlist is rated for working voltage of 1000 VRMS according to an e-mail from Edcor.

The Edcor power transformer I have in mind is this one: EDCOR - XPWR002-240, which is 720V rated (360-0-360).

Edcor reply on choke

Edcor has got back - the transformer has a maximum DC current rating of 200mA and the insulation testing is 1000 volts DC to frame or end bell.

1000 VDC is lower than the Transcendar unit, but should be ok I guess, as lot of Hammond chokes being used are rated for less.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.