Mosfets for Tubelab SE? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 18th January 2011, 03:20 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Mosfets for Tubelab SE?

Its probably been addressed somewhere but my searches have been unsuccessful... Digikey is out of 2SK3563Q-ND, is there a suitable replacement that anyone can suggest? I am moving overseas in a few weeks and I am trying to put together a BOM for another build before I leave. This will be my second TSE and I am using 45's again, George this is a fine piece of equipment!!
Old 18th January 2011, 02:47 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

2SK2700, 2SK3564

The above are both 900V rated parts; the 2SK3563 is a 500V rated part, so as a bonus you get more voltage margin. The input capacitance is a little lower on the 2SK3563 though (550pf vs 700-750 pf).
Old 18th January 2011, 03:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Great! Thanks for the help.
Old 23rd February 2011, 02:38 AM   #4
beeah is offline beeah  United States
diyAudio Member

Would the IRF830APbF work?:
http://www.alliedelec.com/Images/Pro...A/503-0356.PDF
Old 1st March 2011, 06:22 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have the following mosfets available:

2SK3563
2SK3742
2SK3564

What would you use it for a 300B with B+ around 390 V ? (Simple mode)
What mosfet characteristics are important for this application ? The maximum ratings are obvious, not the rest (Learning mode)

Additionqlly, I want to have separate PSU for the power drive. What current do I have to make available ? I was thinking of using 150VAC with bridge rectifiere and CRC filter.

Thanks,

Davide
Old 1st March 2011, 06:24 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Here are the datasheets of the masfet mentioned
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2sk3563.pdf (193.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: pdf 2sk3564.pdf (96.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 1st March 2011, 06:26 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Last one
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2SK3742B.pdf (110.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 1st March 2011, 02:10 PM   #8
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
You want a low gate capacitance (Ciss) that is also constant over the source-drain voltage range that you are operating in. This isn't always specified, but there is usually a plot showing this. Those datasheets are not the complete ones.
Old 2nd March 2011, 12:38 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You want a low gate capacitance (Ciss) that is also constant over the source-drain voltage range that you are operating in.
In a typical mosfet amplifier this would be true, but the mosfets in the Tubelab SE are used as source followers. This is about the only application where I would use a mosfet in a tube amp.

In a source follower the gate to source capacitance (Ciss) isn't important unless it is ridiculously high. In a follower the Source follows the Gate signal and are at nearly the same AC potential so the Ciss is effectively bootstrapped out of the picture. The Output Capacitance (Coss) appears directly across the output, so it can be important, but the fet should have no problem driving this capacitance. The Reverse Transfer Capacitance (Crss) is the gate to drain capacitance. In a follower the drain is at AC ground so this capacitance appears directly across the input and must be handled by the driver tube. We want this capacitance to be low and constant over the voltage seen across the fet. The Tubelab SE has several hundred volts across the fet. The Toshiba 2SK3563 has constant 7 pf for any voltage above 20 volts, so this one is the one to use here, and its what's in my board.

The data sheets you included do not have all of the graphs. I have the full data sheets, but they are too big to include here. There should be a graph showing the three capacitances VS voltage. Look for a Crss that is low and flat.
Old 2nd March 2011, 12:54 AM   #10
beeah is offline beeah  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the explanation, George. Based on what I've read in several of your posts, the 2SK3563 is the ideal device for this purpose.

However, the issue is that the 2SK3563 in no longer available through the larger distributors (Mouser, Digikey, Allied, etc.). I don't think it's a temporary production issue; it appears that it's been discontinued by Toshiba.

I don't believe that anyone is second-guessing your use of the 2SK3563, but rather that we're at a point where we need a reasonable sub, or at least guidelines in choosing one. Your post helps a great deal in that regard.

Hide this!Advertise here!