Tubelab SE (300B + Softone RW-20 OPT) Wiring - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 1st January 2011, 02:19 PM   #11
Junior is offline Junior  Singapore
diyAudio Member

hi Evenharmonics,
am using Usher X-719 for my stereo. understand that it is power hungry but i do get quite good result from SSE. and certainly i do not need a sub-woofer.

fortunately for me the Hammond 374BX for my tubelab simple SE built did not hum or buzz.

hi kevinkr, Evenharmonics and Mr Tubelab,
gald that Mr Tubelab suggested Hammond 370LX, which is suitable for both 300B and 2A3. Another one for me to consider is 370EX (may be marginal for 2A3 in term of filament current rating) depending the price difference. 370LX lead time is 3weeks.

another further step closer to actual built. thanks.

will choose 193J or H for chike
Old 1st January 2011, 02:55 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
fortunately for me the Hammond 374BX for my tubelab simple SE built did not hum or buzz.
I had the same experience with the 374BX on my Simple SE. I'm extremely pleased with how quiet it is. It's easily the quietest, most mechanically solid power transformer I own. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another 300 series power transformer.
Old 1st January 2011, 03:16 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I have found that the Hammond 200 series buzz may be related to the quality (or lack thereof) of your AC line power. I have been using Hammond 200 series and "Allieds own" (made by Hammond and similar to a 200 series) power transformers for years. I have lived in the same house for 32 years. All of my power transformers were quiet except for those that I had assembled myself (without varnish).

About 3 years ago lightning took out the pole transformer in the back yard. The local power company replaced the large metal monster with a plastic encased transformer that was about 2/3 the size of the dead unit, despite the fact that people use more power than they did in 1978 when these houses were built. Since then I have noticed a faint hum from some of the 200 series and one of the Allied's that were previously quiet. The lone 200 series that I have is still quiet. Measurements on the power line reveal over 10% distortion with noticible flat topping on the sine wave.

This will result in lower B+ voltage since the peak of the sine wave is not as tall as it used to be. I have noticed that the problem is worse on a summer afternoon when everybodies AC units are working overtime.
Old 1st January 2011, 05:26 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
Measurements on the power line reveal over 10% distortion with noticible flat topping on the sine wave.

This will result in lower B+ voltage since the peak of the sine wave is not as tall as it used to be.
Will power conditioner or filter available at typical AV gadget sites or stores help the PT buzzing problem?
Old 1st January 2011, 08:19 PM   #15
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
I don't know if Edcor is an option given your location, but the XPWR131 was designed specifically for the TSE for use with 45s or 300Bs. It lacks the capacity on the 6.3V winding for 2A3s, though.

330-260-0-260-330 @ 175mA, 6.3 V CT @ 4A, 5V @ 3A
Old 2nd January 2011, 05:07 PM   #16
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
<snip> Measurements on the power line reveal over 10% distortion with noticible flat topping on the sine wave.

This will result in lower B+ voltage since the peak of the sine wave is not as tall as it used to be. I have noticed that the problem is worse on a summer afternoon when everybodies AC units are working overtime.
I have noticed the same thing here, right down to the distortion and flat topping.. Here the issue peaks during the early evening hours which is traditionally the peak demand time in this area. In addition to making my power transformers somewhat noisier it also causes synchronous and induction motors (like the ones in my TD-124 MKII and G36) to run noisier as well. Summer air conditioning loads make it even worse on a continuous basis. Our tiny pole pig is shared with 11 other residences, and is one of those crummy plastic canned things George mentioned in his post.

Last edited by kevinkr; 2nd January 2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11th January 2011, 12:54 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Winder for Power Transformer

Well, the Hammond 370LX power transformer seem not available as the mouser website still indicate 3 weeks lead time since last week.

another alternative for me is to get local transformer winder to wind the power transformer to my required specification. since my intention is to run both 300B and 2A3 and the Hammond 370LX is a good candidate so my spec will be based on it.

please do correct me if I wrong for the power transformer spec will be:

Primary Secondary
------- ----------
Twin High Voltage: 550V CT@460mA
Filament #1: 5V CT @6A
Filament #2: 6.3V CT @9A
Old 11th January 2011, 01:29 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Mouser does not stock most of these Hammond parts. The lead time is always three weeks because they are actually special-ordered and then drop-shipped from Hammond. There are many other places on the web that do stock them, but I see your are in Singapore.
Old 13th January 2011, 10:29 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

to customise the pwr transformer is the attached picture the correct pictorial representation?
Click the image to open in full size.

the primary will be universal in this case.
what worry me is the seconday that is required for the TSE.

reason for asking is i called the tranformer winder and in order to prevent misunderstanding, he requested me to come out with some kind of drawing to show him what and how I wanted to winding to be like. please do help me with it.

hi rknize,
so mouser do not stock up 370LX. i had to place an order and make payment and then they will place the order for me from Hammond. why can't we skip mouser and go direct to Hammond since it require special order just to save the middle man commision huh?

since am in singapore, i had tried calling the possible sources and none seem to have it. guess i had to customize it.
Old 14th January 2011, 02:55 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
to customise the pwr transformer is the attached picture the correct pictorial representation?
That looks pretty clear. The winder might wish to split the 6.3 winding into two (which you can then run in parallel). 9A is a lot to ask of a single winding.

Quote:
so mouser do not stock up 370LX. i had to place an order and make payment and then they will place the order for me from Hammond. why can't we skip mouser and go direct to Hammond since it require special order just to save the middle man commision huh?
Well it usually doesn't work that way to prevent you from doing that. If they sell to you direct and charge less, they anger distributers like Mouser. They are better off not selling to you and keep the higher-volume customers happy. Alternatively, they may sell to you for list price only for the same reasons.

Radio Daze stocks a good portion of Hammond's catalog for the tube hobby and are often cheaper than places like Mouser:

Radio Daze-Transformers & Inductors Index

Hide this!Advertise here!